New Job

Arthur,

Congratulations on reaching your milestone. I also applaud you on your creativity! This photo is amazing!

Tory

1 Like

Arthur,

Awesome photo snag! That’s a sleek looking jet, love seeing a Citation X on the ramp here in TTN. Congrats on the 1,500! :tada:

Brady

1 Like

Returning to ATP this Friday to knock out my ATP/CTP course. Excited for this next milestone.

And thennnnnn? :slight_smile:

Adam

2 Likes

No and then!

Lol, loved that movie back in the day.

Actually headed to the RTAG convention in San Diego next month with a stack of resumes and a pressed suit.

2 Likes

Mentors: Major Airline interview advice? I have my first one coming up in January. I’m excited beyond belief for this opportunity.

Arthur,
Congrats! That’s amazing!

1. Be yourself.
  2. Don’t overthink questions. Give the answer you believe not what you think they want you to say.
  3. Do your research on the company. Know it’s history.
  4. Know the systems of your most recent aircraft well. They will ask you questions on it, not because they care to know but because they want to see if you’re “a master of your craft”
    Good luck! Please keep us updated on how it goes!!
    -Hannah
1 Like

Arthur,

When I had my interview with Hawaiian I read the book Checklist for Success by Cheryl Cage of Cage Marshall Consulting. Lots of good info in there. Hawaiian was my first choice and wanted it bad so I actually contacted them for a personal interview prep (something I had always thought was pointless) because a friend said it was worth it. They definitely polished me up but the single best piece of advice they gave me was ANSWER THE QUESTION. Now that might seem obvious but after being on multiple panels I can assure you it is not. Pilots LOVE to talk and pontificate but you need to resist the temptation. If the answer is to the question is 4 then just say 4. You’ll be one of many interviewing and they really don’t want to hear your theory of life or understanding of the history of aviation. If they ask for a CRM story tell them a CRM story. Do not explain to them the definition of CRM or the importance of it. That they know. Make sense?

Most important smile, be pleasant, be excited! This is the moment you’ve been waiting for your whole life! If you’re excited about it, let them know!

Adam

1 Like

Arthur,

Make sure to do some research on the company, know things like their stock price, some of the corporate history, their stated goals and something that they publicly do that is impressive to you. Make sure you have a reason that you want to work at that specific airline, something more than the fact that they are the first major to call you.

Do some research online and find out what kinds of questions they are asking. Be prepared to answer those specific questions.

Most of all, find a way to convert to them that you genuinely want to work for that specific airline.

Chris

2 Likes

That’s exciting, Arthur!

If you have time to pay for interview prep I highly recommend it. There are companies out there that specialize in interview prep for specific airlines.

If not, research as much about the airline and the interview as you can. Know the company values. Tie your answers to them if you can.

Best advice I’ve received is to answer questions using this formula: selling points, specific example, company values.

Selling points are reasons they should hire you. Highlight your strengths.

Follow up with a specific example that supports your selling points so that the panel knows you’re not just telling them what they want to hear.

Then, if you can, tie your selling points and example to the company values to demonstrate your understanding of them. This also shows that you are at the very least aware of what the values are. If you do a good enough job touching on your selling points and examples then it shows that your values align with the company’s.

Lastly, dress accordingly. Formal means formal. Shiny shoes, matching belt, freshly pressed suit with jacket, tie, etc.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Tory

1 Like

Arthur,

Congrats on the opportunity! Even though I’ve only done three airline interviews, I think the biggest piece of advice I can say is; take what you can from it, whether the outcome is great (and what you want) or doesn’t end the way you want…you can really learn from the first airline interview.

When I interviewed at UAL for Aviate, I was nervous, it showed. Afterwards I wrote things that I was strong in, things that I was deficient in…I reviewed them. Come my further two interviews, I really worked on my confidence and relaxing a bit more. I started looking deeper into the company’s core values and goals (mission statements) and learning more about them. Airline Pilot Central also has a lot of brief information, Airline Interviews has tons of gouges that are available if you want to go deeper on how the interview for your company specific is.

Another important thing is REVIEWING Jeppesen Charts, during a technical readiness interview, they will ask you things regarding these charts. In my recent interview I had to brief a DP, STAR, APP, and APT Diagram…guess what, they all were in Jeppesen. Jeppesen has an Intro to Jepp guide online that is accessible, highly recommend looking through at least the legend if it’s been a while.

Brady

1 Like

Arthur,

You might find that majors do not really focus on the technical aspects in an interview. Many of them take the approach that you already know how to fly and thus focus more on the HR side of things. As always, your mileage may vary.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice! Valid points made by everyone.

When I first started lessons with ATP in 2015 I never imagined I’d be looking at this airline. I had my targets set on a certain wholly owned regional and flow to a certain major. I never was even called by that regional, but thanks to my time at Great Lakes I learned a lot about the major I’ll be interviewing with, have a lot of Great Lakes friends there now, and had a lot of positive experiences with the company/crews when I used to use them to commute to work.

This is the first and only Major Carrier I’ve applied to and I went all the way to San Diego in October specifically just to talk to their recruiters at a job fair event. Again, I am beyond excited for this opportunity and will take all of the advice from you guys seriously. Wish my luck, I’ll be sure to share the outcome when it’s all said and done!

It would be awesome to make my way back to the islands one day. I was stationed in Kaneohe years ago and always thought a house in Kaneohe or Kailua would be amazing. A game of pool and cold drinks at a place called Longboards or Board Riders was my Friday night normal.

Then you should apply next time the window opens.

Adam

1 Like

If I meet the requirements next time it does open, I just might. I was not there this last or else I probably would have.

Today I completed the process with Frontier Airlines. They told me my tentative class date is the end of July. Results of my drug test and background check have to come back before I receive the official CJO letter.

4 Likes

Arthur,

Congratulations!!! That is such awesome news, I am so happy for you. You will love the A320, it is a great airplane.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you!

Congrats! Very cool and as always keep us posted.

Adam

1 Like