New Job

Bam! Just like I have a new job 15 miles from the house flying a Citation II.

1 Like

Will do!

Bam is good! Congrats bud!

Adam

1 Like

Thanks. Just thought a quick update was needed so people can see there’s always light at the end of the tunnel if you keep pushing

That is great! Congratulations!

1 Like

It’ll be one year this month since I was furloughed from my first airline job with Great Lakes. To any students or potential students that might read this stay motivated and grind away. I had 600 hours total time when I was furloughed March 2018. Now I’m up to 1,000TT and I just finished my second PIC type rating with my new employer. Even let some guys on crew check out the jet this morning as the FBO filled up their 172.

1 Like

how do we find jobs other than teaching people how to fly?

Arthur,

That must have been a pretty cool experience for you.

Chris

Found mine either by knowing someone already at the company or by using google searches/job websites

1 Like

CAE is no joke (to me) its like drinking from the same firehose I drank at during indoctrination and systems at Great Lakes. I always talk to ATP students and instructors when I see them at the FBO if they or I aren’t too busy. It’s gratifying to interact with and see the excitement in someone who is trying to get to where you are.

1 Like

It’s been three years since I was furloughed from Great Lakes when they shut down. I’ve been with the same corporate operator since then. I’m in training for my third PIC type rating, this time in the Citation X. I was also recently promoted to a member of the management team and am the Director of Training for my company (Part 135 Operator with more then 10 airplanes and 20 pilots).

For the mentors; what are your thoughts on not having to return to the regionals for a second time? I’m trying to build a resume strong enough for the majors by constantly expanding my duties and experiences. I have a friend at a Major who thinks if I can become a company check airman I’ll definitely get “the call” once I get some more flight time. I’m prior military (wasn’t a pilot), have a Bachelor and a Master degree, retired police officer, lots of community volunteering.

1 Like

Arthur,

First of all you need to forget all the extras. The Majors don’t care about your Masters, community service or really even your military service unless you were a pilot (although it’s appreciated). Major airlines hire experienced, well trained pilots who can check all the boxes in their “preferred hiring mins”. The fact of the matter is the majority of Major airline newhires come from the Regionals. Now that may very well be because there are many more pilots coming from the Regionals who aspire to fly for airlines (which is why they go the Regional route vs 135).

I’ve been on hiring panels in my experience I the biggest factors that comes into play are hours and the type of experience. You’re flying jets which is good but you don’t say what time of flying your doing? Transcon is always good. International is better. You also mention you’ve become part of mgmt and the Director of Training which is nice but how does that translate into flying hours? Someone with 5yrs at a Regional will have built about 4,000hrs+. Not sure how many hours you’re building but at the Majors hours trump titles (unless you’re applying for a job in mgmt). If you are building comparable time I believe you should be fine staying where you are but there’s always the human element. Again the vast majority of pilots at the Majors came from the Regionals and may very well show a preference if they’re on your panel. Tough call.

Adam

1 Like

Arthur,

Honestly I don’t know. Adam has first hand experience on hiring panels so he most likely has the best advice to offer.

Only thing I have to add is if you really want to test this hypothesis put your apps out there and see what happens. If none of the airlines express any interest then you have your answer. Up to you to decide how much time you are willing to spend waiting for “the call” before you decide to join a regional again.

Tory

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback, Adam. Personally, I don’t feel my military time or the other extras matter as much as others have implied. That’s why I wanted to ask. My regional friends definitely fly more a month then me but I’m averaging 50-60 hours so I fly more than a lot of 135 guys that average a couple hundred a year. I haven’t crossed any oceans (yet) but have lots of experience in Canada and Mexico. When I start flying the Citation X I’ll add Hawaii and the Caribbean to the list. Thanks again for the feedback.

Arthur,

I think those are great things to add to a resume, but I would really focus on building your flight hours and preferably captain hours at that. Make sure they are true captain hours as well, not part 91 “Sole manipulator of the controls” captain hours - the airlines will readily discount those hours.

The number one thing in getting hired at a major is h

1 Like

Chris, I appreciate that. I had a very lengthy conversation with an ExpressJet recruiter when they were still around about PIC hours/sole manipulator. I only log PIC when I sign for the aircraft.

Arthur,
I understand your predicament. Is it impossible to get to the majors without going back through the regionals? No, but you may end up having to build twice as much time as captains at a regional would. Luckily you already have some 121 experience so you have that box checked but what I’ve been told is that 135 time isn’t necessarily considered equal time to 121 time.

-Hannah

1 Like

There’s definitely faster ways to build the time but I can’t complain about the path I’ve been on. Last night I finally hit the magical 1,500 flight hour mark. To commemorate the occasion I had a photographer in position to capture my landing. Enjoy!

7 Likes

Congrats on hitting the Magic 1500 and really nice pic!

Always thought the Cit X was a sexy plane!

Adam

1 Like

Arthur,

Congratulations on hitting 1,500 hours! Also, thank you for the update.

Great landing photo.

Chris

1 Like