Real Answers from Real Pilots

Current PPL-SEL, I need some advice

Brady,

If you’re going in with your PPL you most definitely will get the opportunity to fly. That’s kind of the point. There have been people who have enrolled with credit for their PPL but aren’t current or worse. Frankly they’re no where near ready to start their Instrument training. You obviously should be.

Further you’ll be given a tour of the facility including the sims.

Adam

1 Like

Awesomesauce, I figured that would be, but I just wanted confirmation. Excited to begin this new journey!

You should be! Very exciting time to be starting!

Adam

1 Like

Brady,

Do not worry too much about the admissions flight. It is really just a chance for you to be introduced to the school and for the school to make sure that you have the ability and desire to learn. You might be asked a few questions, but it is not a check ride.

Chris

Brady,

I also came in with my PPL, and when I did my intro flight, the instructor let me do most of it. I literally controlled the aircraft from the time we hopped in it, until the time we parked. He talked me through the takeoff, landing, and in between.

In the air he asked what I wanted to do/see, we settled on a power-off stall, steep turn, then he talked me through a Chandelle and we did a practice approach back into the field.

It was actually pretty cool to experience all this in an Archer and get the feel for it, as all of my PPL time was in a 172.

The visit also included a tour of the facility, including the sims.

1 Like

Michael,

Thanks for your feedback! I scheduled my admissions flight for November 4th at the Trenton-Mercer County Airport (being closest to me) until I decided where fully to have my course location. I noticed the supplemental training they provided was the Piper Archer! I did all my training in a C172 L/P throughout the year, but once acquiring my license I got into a nice rental agreement that I’ve been flying a Piper Cherokee 180 C for over the last few months! I just met with the primary owner and went over my plan for ATP with him so he knows I’m not leaving him for good, but to accomplish a new career - noticed that the 180 and Archer are so similar!

1 Like

You’re welcome, and sounds like a solid plan!

They’re not too different at the end of the day, just a few differences getting used to…for me it’s the manual flaps handle versus electric in the Cessna, and even more so, proper cross-wind corrections…

I always did cross wind corrections in the Cessna, and although you could feel the wind sometimes pushing against the side of the aircraft, it’s nothing like in the Piper where is seems like a slight wind more 5 knots wants to lift the wing and flip the aircraft right over :scream::joy:

1 Like

@Tory, @Adam or @Chris, could either of you answer this simple question…do students have to carry their own insurance through a provider (e.g. AOPA) or are students covered under the schools underwriter?

Brady,

I’m 99% sure you don’t need your own insurance. I never had it when I was a student. I don’t know of anyone else that had their own while they were a student. If you want, you can call ATP to verify.

Tory

1 Like

Brady,

No insurance is required, you’re covered by the school.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks guys’, I’ll ask that question the day of my admission flight! Thanks for all your help. :slight_smile:

Brady,

You can ask, but I would not expect the CFI to know much about such things. That question is better geared towards the admissions department, but they will also tell you that there is no need for you to have insurance as far as ATP is concerned.

Chris

1 Like