Current PPL-SEL, I need some advice

I just passed my first medical and I called atp today they didn’t answer I’ll try again tomorrow

Meshaal,

If you’re planning on training with ATP don’t buy a thing. ALL required training materials will be provided once you enroll, give your deposit and secure a start date.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Like Josh said above, how long would the package of training materials ship. For example, if you send a ‘security deposit’ in to ATP Flight School early Spring would you have everything ready for the Fall to start enrollment? I am curious to know if you can schedule a ‘start date’ months in advance to allocate enough time for studying?

Brady

Brady,

As Josh said above the material you need for the writtens is online. Yes you can schedule and reserve your start date months in advance. Once you do you’ll be given access to the material.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Perfect! That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. So many questions and confusions as I am trying to get all my answers. I am really pleased to hear I can always order the materials and get the time I need done for that and always schedule my enrollment post date. Thanks for the help Adam!

Brady

Adam, Chris or Tory,

I saw in another discussion regarding about a private pilot who was starting out and passed their PAR written exam. My question is, once I submit and secure a class start date, when I receive my materials and take the knowledge exams…can I do my written exams at any testing center? For example, living in Pennsylvania, the closest ATP Flight School would be NY/VA/NJ, but I have an airport nearby that has testing center capabilities. Your recommendations were to have all the writtens done prior to coming to the class start date, correct?

Brady

Ya, as far as I am aware. None of the ATP facilities are testing centers sonyou have to go to one of the ones that are capable

Sweet! That makes it so convienent and I will be able to ensure that within the ‘2-4 month’ mentioned above it takes on average to complete all the knowledge tests and such, I can allocate a month at a time for each rating and not “over-do” myself. MAN I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS NEW JOURNEY, HAHA. All my current coworkers have heard me talk to every customer about this opportunity and I feel like they all think I am on something, lol.

You can take them at any testing center. Just save your receipts for reimbursement.

More info here: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Josh,

Most of ATP’s locations are in fact testing centers. There are a few that are not though.

Chris

1 Like

Oh well then the more you know! Mine happens to be one of the few then :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, what Chris said!
I took all mine at the local flight school where I got my PPL.

Just request and save your receipts, you can submit for the reimbursement during your first week of classes, as I did.

1 Like

Awesome, I am glad someone else had done what I am looking to do. Gives me some reassurance to know that this is an option that is efficient and effective! Thanks Michael!

1 Like

Hey @Adam @Tory @Chris, question might seem dumb or I’ve asked differently above. I just wanted to get another answered question. I am a volunteer firefighter in my current hometown, been in the service 5 years, have a huge passion for helping civilians and saving lives/property/pets. Do you believe there is time outside of the ATP program (like night times and evenings) that I could still continue my passion? I know I had asked about working part-time/full-time along with ATP and it was strongly not recommended, I just wanted to check the opinion if there would still be a chance I can participate as a firefighter in my “off” time from ATP. I am okay with putting it on a pause if I have to while I chase after my feasible dream of becoming a professional pilot.

I would recommend putting the firefighting on hold while in the program. You need to be well rested to fly airplanes and take checkrides. I am afraid that the unpredictable nature of fire fighting could have an adverse affect on that.

1 Like

Brady,

I’m not gonna tell you what you can and cannot do. I just don’t recommend doing anything outside of the program. Some have made it known that they were able to work part-time while in the program. Good for them. That doesn’t mean everyone should. It’s your decision. It’s your career on the line. You know the risks you’re taking if you choose to volunteer.

Tory

1 Like

Brady,

This question gets asked often and my answer always remains the same. This is America and you can do as you like but if/when your training suffers (and it will) you have no one to blame but yourself. While your volunteer work is noble, neither the examiner nor ATP will care if you’re unsuccessful come checkride time. The number one reason people choose ATP is the accelerated time line. I can not comprehend why people think they can compress what usually takes years to accomplish, do it in months but then, “oh btw I ALSO want to…”. Its called wanting your cake and eating it too. Seldom works but my all means it’s your decision and your $80k+ to blow.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you all, I am just trying to process every little detail to become full aware. I know there was the mention ("recommendation) about not working full-time/part-time, just wanted to clarify specifically even if it made me look ‘dumb.’ Thank you all for your help, looking forward to next summer’s journey!

Brady

Brady,

No worries. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

1 Like

Looking to schedule my admission flight for November to get the ball rolling. With being a PPL and close to accruing the 78 hours (I’ve dumped a lot of money in the last month to fly almost everyday at least a half an hour to practice landings, manuevers, basic navigation - LOL), what all should I expect for the admission flight. Will I be able to get hands on with the aircraft and get a feel for what I will be flying with through the program? Is there an opportunity if someone using the simulator to get a chance to look at the simulators (if the base has one) and see what they’re like? I’m making the call today during my lunch break at work to schedule this new start!