Starting with PPL credit transferring from part 141 flight school

Hello, I have been debating on transferring to the local ATP flight school to finish up the rest of the flight training. I have made a few points which don’t make sense to me at this moment and need some pointers to the right direction. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1. I have finished all required solo flights at my current part 141 flight school. According to the syllabus, my stage 3 check and end of course lesson is coming soon and then it’s the check ride. I currently have about 52 hours in the C172S. With 5 months of training already, due to weather they kept cancelling my flights. I have spent about 3000 each month which is now should be over 15000? They charge 230 per instructed flight hour, not including tax and landing fees. Does this seem right to you guys?

2. ATP is set on tuition with payments in installments, correct? During flight training did anyone pay anything additional on top of your installments? At this point, with completing CFI/CFII/MEI ASAP in mind, I feel that ATP makes much more sense to me and is more reasonably priced, on top of that training can be finished in as soon as 6 months.

3. Can I start training with ATP as soon as I get my PPL regardless of flight hours?

Li,

Let’s see if we can’t help you out some so let’s get to your questions.

1. First there’s zero point crying over spilled milk and what you’ve spent is spent but $15,000 for 52hrs and no license is not right. I don’t know where you’re located but that’s expensive. For that rate you could be flying a twin or something much nicer but again, water under the bridge. People think we’re salesmen on here (which we’re not) but the moral of the story is trying to seriously complete flight training part time simply does not work. Flying skills are built one on the next and flying 1 week and then not for another 2 is counterproductive.

2. ATP’s price for the Airline Career Pilot Program is fixed and guaranteed. The price includes all your training with the exception of checkride fees, books and equipment (headset, ipad etc). The program includes a specific amount of hours for each license and rating. Should you bust a checkride and need additional training in most cases the time can be “borrowed” from another section but if there are real problems in theory you could have to purchase additional time but I honestly don’t know anyone who has. Btw, it’s not that the training CAN be completed in as little as 6mos, it will be.

3. In order to start training with credit for your PPL you’ll need the license AND at least 80hrs total time. If you’re short on a few hours it is possible to purchase some time building at ATP and a reasonable cost.

Li, you’ve invested this much and say you’re close but you need to buckle down and finish this up before you’re out another $6,000 or more. I’d see if I could take some time off and devote it to flying everyday and getting done, then start at ATP and don’t look back. Trust me I understand where you’re coming from. It took me almost 2yrs to get my PPL but I got the rest of my licenses and ratings with ATP in a fraction of that time.

Adam

1 Like

Li,

I can’t comment directly on the flight school that you are attending, but that is an incredible amount of money for not a lot of hours. I would either finish there as quickly as possible or better yet, look into other flight schools in your area.

To train with ATP you will either need to come in with a private license or start from the beginning.

Chris

This is on this topic as I would be a bit of a transplant to ATP. I currently have my PPL with Instrument (ASEL) and have already carved into my commercial training (136~) hours with long x-country flights completed under Part 141. Would the 6 mo. cost still be a fixed rate? I’m assuming it would because of the ME training and rating, but I won’t quote myself on that, lol.

Michael,

ATP offers 2 programs. With your PPL and without and the cost is fixed for both. You will go through the instrument training again just without a checkride but your ME checkride will include approaches to cover the instrument portion.

Adam

Michael,

Admissions has the final say, but my guess is yes. You would have complete the full private credit program.

Tory

Thanks for the replies Adam and Tory.

I guess it will be good for proficiency since it has been a few blue moons since I shot an approach IMC or otherwise, lol.

Michael,

You would still pay the same price for the six month program, you just wouldn’t take the instrument checkride, but you would receive the training and flight time.

Chris