Starting in Boston

Hello I am a long time follower of this forum and decided I would take on the challenge of ATP. I am starting with credit for my private August 3rd in the new Boston location.
I had a few questions before I start.
I am currently 4 hours short of the 78 and was planning on getting some takeoff and landing review with my 141 instructor before leaving, but my ATP instructor told me that we will be using a brand new G1000 archer for training. I was wondering if it would be more helpful to finish the 4 hours at ATP to get some extra time to learn the G10008(as I have only used a very old 6 pack with no kind of GPS)

I was also wondering if there are usually kinks when a new location opens up. I understand that all locations are standardized but I was wondering if there may be some things that are specific to the Boston location that I may have to deal with.

Any help is very much appreciated. I will also be sure to keep everyone updated with my progress after I start
Thanks
Vincen

Vincent,

I would definitely finish the hours with ATP. I was in the exact same position as you are now. ATP suggested I finish the hours with them and it was a great decision. It allowed me to use the time I needed to fly their equipment and gefltt to know my instructor before the firehose was opened up. When Day 1 happened I was ready and far more comfortable than I would’ve been otherwise.

As for starting at a new location I wouldn’t be concerned in the least. ATP has locations across the country and has been opening them for decades. They have this down. Further its not like opening a restaurant or other businesses that requires a tremendous amount of resources and coordination. They need instructors and airplanes. If the new sign isn’t up on the front door, or the office supplies didn’t send the right pens it won’t impact your training.

How you doing on those writtens?

Adam

I have completed the IRA FII and I have the CAX scheduled.

Nice

Adam

Vincent,

Welcome to the forums and congrats on obtaining your PPL.

I would recommend completing the required four hours at ATP for a few reasons. First, it makes sense to do the in the airplane you will be flying while in training. Secondly, you might as well start learning the ATP way now as it is going to be your everyday for the next four months. Third, an ATP instructor can help you get started on your instrument training a bit early by putting those four hours to use. That is exactly what I did when I started the program.

I am not familiar with the Boston location, but I can assure you that a large amount of time and effort goes into opening a new location. I know this first hand as I once opened a new location for ATP. By the time we opened, we were ready to go.

Thanks for posting and please let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Alright thank you.
Do you think it is too close to my August 3rd start date to ask for the four hours before I start?

Vincent

No. I would call them first thing Monday morning.

I have a small update. I passed my commercial written today with a 92. I also got my first 2 flights scheduled already. Monday can not come soon enough.

Thanks
Vincent

1 Like

Vincent,

Great job on the written. Keep up the good work and thanks for the update.

Chris

Congrats. Came to the forums looking if anyone had gone to the Norwood location. Taking the physical now and hopefully enrolling tonight. I only have about 7-8 hours into my ppl. Still have a lot to work on with the written test so hopefully can start cramming this weekend.

Neil,

Let us know if you end up signing up for the program and anything we can do to be of assistance.

Chris

Thank you Chris!

Enrolled this evening. Can’t wait to start. I’ll make a post eventually with my info as not to hijack OP’s post.

Quick update
I am about 6 weeks into the program and passed my Instrument Checkride on Friday. The program is exactly as advertised so far. It is very fast paced, but keeping up with studying at home and asking questions when they come up has helped me a lot. I have two very helpful and knowledgeable instructors who are always willing to help.
I have my crew eval tomorrow and will be released to crew after that and then onto commercial training. I will probably update after that depending on how busy I am.
Vincent

Nice work and thanks for the update.

Keep up the good work!

Adam

Vincent,

Very nice! Thank you for the update, we always love hearing how people are doing. Enjoy the crew experience, it is by far the most fun part of the program.

Chris

Congrats Vincent! Have fun on crew and be safe out there.

Tory

It has been a while since I last updated.

I finished crew and moved into commercial training. Crew was a lot of fun as Flight Ops sent me from Dallas all the way back to my home training center in Boston.

After I finished that I got my commercial knocked out on time and I passed!

I am currently in Day 8 of CFI Virtual Ground and learning a lot. It is a lot of knowledge but there are a lot of resources you have to help you get through it. Both of my instructors in Boston have very nice and let me practice teaching them material. I am off to Dallas on Monday to do the CFI Flight portion.

Vincent,

Now that is some serious cross country flying and great experience. On my cross countries I basically flew a large box from Washington DC to Chicago, then Dallas, Jacksonville, FL and then back to DC (with stops in between of course). I learned a lot and still look back upon those two weeks fondly.

Congratulations on passing your commercial, that is an awesome accomplishment!

Good luck on your CFIs, it will go quickly and you will be finished before you know it.

Thank you for the update, please keep them coming.

Chris

Vincent,

Crewing was definitely the highlight for me. It’s there where I gained alot of confidence and finally realized I really am a pilot and can do this.

CFI can be a bear. LOTS to learn and a huge volume of material to cover but you actually know more of it than you probably think you do. Nice work, you’re almost done!

Adam

Vincent,

I really appreciate you sharing these updates with us. Your success in the program is exemplary. Best of luck in CFI school. I know you’ll do well.

Tory