Should i get my ppl ahead of time

hello, I am a freshman in high school who wants to become an airline pilot. I know that I am going to attend college, get my bachelor’s, and that afterward I will wish to attend ATP. I was just wondering, a flight near me says that it will be about $12,000 to obtain my PPL, should I get my PPL before I apply to ATP when I finish college? to sum it all up, the main thing I wish to know is, will it be cheaper and will it increase my chances of being accepted to ATP.

Miles,

Totally your call but in most cases, no it won’t be cheaper (to get credit for your PPL ATP requires 78hrs). That said while having a degree AND your PPL will increase your chances for admission but you probably won’t need it.

Adam

thanks for the feedback Adam. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference for me. also, would I still be competitive to get into the school if I did 2 years at community college and then 2 years at a regular college for my bachelor’s?

Miles,

The Majors want a 4yr degree. As long as it’s earned at a legitimate college you’ll be fine.

Adam

Hey Miles, Admissions here!

Getting a PPL before joining ATP will always be welcomed and will certainty make you a competitive candidate. Specially at your young age, you have the time to get the PPL part time.
On the other end, you do not have to, You can always start 0 time with a 3.0 or higher GPA and a high school diploma.

I think you are weighing your options, and that is proactive. I 100% will recommend starting your PPL first. The difference between 0 time (9 Months) and Credit PPL (6 Months) is about $22k, and you’re also shortening the program time.

At the end of the day, you have the right mind set. Feel free to give us a call at your convenience so that we may better assist you. ATP Admissions is available M-F 8am-7pm EST and our phone number is 904-595-7950.

It is best to keep your personal admissions case between you and the admissions department, not out on the web. I suggest calling them to review your application.

1 Like

Thank You Chris.

Miles,

We only recommend getting your PPL outside of ATP if you’re “testing the waters”, meaning you’re not quite sure you like flying enough to pursue it as a career. Once you’re ready to make a commitment, apply and see if you can get in with the college experience you have. If you don’t, then getting a PPL will absolutely help make you a stronger candidate for reapplication.

Hannah