Private Pilot Written Exam prep

I just started studying for the written PPL exam. I am slated to start at ATP in March 2020. In relation to aviation knowledge and experience I am starting at zero, I have only done two flight lessons. So, I am studying with sportys learn to fly course and ASA ppl test prep book. I put study time daily at least 1 hour usually more depending on what my work schedule is like (I am a flight attendant). I am excited and overwhelmed because there is just so much to know. Any words of wisdom? Tips tricks?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Reena,

When you say you’re “slated” have you enrolled, selected a class date, paid your deposit? If not you might want to get crackin’ to ensure you get the date you want. If you have ATP will give you access to tgifr study material for all 6 required written exams.

The fact is the FAA Knowledge exams don’t really follow any curriculum and time vast majority of people use and are successful with test periods preps that use simple rote memorization. You’ll learn to fly once you start the program. The writtens are simply a box you need to check.

Adam

Hey Adam!

I have done all of that I am simply waiting for my medical to clear before sending the deposit. It was deferred due to high BP. My AME told me not to worry too much about it and to continue on because it’s not a disqualifying condition. So I’m getting a head start on the studying for the written.

Thanks for the input!

Reena

Reena,

I suggest starting with the written exams first as opposed to starting with the PPL test prep book.
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

The written exams are something that you’ll have to complete before or during the program anyway. If you can get all or some of them done before you start you will save yourself time to focus on other things.

When I signed up for training, I did the same as you, with the PPL test prep book. I didn’t know where to start either. Had I known that taking the written tests early was an option, I would have taken those before studying anything else.

Tory

1 Like

Reena,

I’m not an AME (so obviously your case could be different) but I have had high BP pretty much all my life. It’s controlled with meds (there are many approved by the FAA). Once they clear you it should be a non issue going forward.

Adam

Reena,

When you send your deposit in ATP Admissions give you a login to the King Schools PPL Test Prep Course. It’s really good but I also recommend the Sporty’s Private Pilot Test Prep. It’s a $15 app you can download. I saw you are using the course but I think the $15 Sporty’s app might be different. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

I hope that helps.

Matt

1 Like

Reena,

Like Matt said, the Sporty’s app/tool is a useful piece if you’re wanting another look at material. I obtained my PPL prior to enrollment at ATP through a local flight school and used ATP. Sporty’s was pretty useful in my opinion.

Brady

2 Likes

Great, thanks guys! Med certificate came in the mail yesterday.

I’m going through each video and taking notes, testing myself daily. Just curious how some of you structured your studying?

Reena,

https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-does-an-atp-student-need-to-do-to-be-successful/10421

Tory

1 Like

I recently took the PPL written and was given the following great advice:

-Do not take the the written until you take 3 practice tests in a row that consistently score 90% or above

This kind of annoyed me seeing as 70% is a passing grade and at first it felt like a waste of time to keep re-taking while I was getting in the 80s. BUT it was brilliant insomuch as once I knew I could consistently score above 90% I went into the actual exam without feeling any stress. Could I have passed without the extra practice? Probably but the knowledge I gained and the good written score should also set me up nicely for my upcoming PPL oral and future flying endeavors as well.

My advice is to progress thru the Sporty’s course and ASA book and then, as you near the end of one or both, begin taking practice tests. There are several free web based practice tests online, just google “ppl written exam practice” - your course probably comes with at least one too. It is a bit of chore but fairly easy to keep taking them over and over until you consistently score above 90%. You say you’re currently a flight attendant so, assuming you have a laptop, you can probably take them on a laptop anywhere when you have downtime. You’ll find they don’t take too long too. After taking each test I’d save the results as a PDF and then return to study the questions I got wrong before re-taking. I have an office job and took them while “multitasking” :wink:

Michael,

I am glad you changed your tune about just getting a 70% because it is a “passing grade”. In aviation we always strive for 100%, all of the time. “passing grades” are what get people killed.

Chris

2 Likes

Thanks for your input. That’s pretty much what I have been doing. Except with king air rather than Sporty’s. My question to you is; did you see the same questions on the actual exam? Because at this point yes I am scoring above 90 because I have seen the questions so many times I know the answer without even reading the whole question sometimes. I just don’t want to do myself a disservice.

Reena,

You’re not. If you’re getting 90s take the test and get it out of the way. You’ll learn what you need during training.

Adam

1 Like

Reena,

I agree, take the test. Not all of the questions will be identical, but they will be very similar.

Chris

Impressive :heart:
I was flight attendant for 6 years in my home country and now that I moved to California all I can think bt is to become a pilot once I get my greencard . Best of luck Reena

Reena,

The question bank was similar to what you saw in Sporty’s as compared to King Schools. As for the following tests after your PAR it’s all about Sheppard Air and literally memorizing the questions and answers. Learn the test through Sheppard Air and gain your knowledge through King Schools.

Matt