Not keen on instructing?

Adam

As I was getting ready to sit down in the van, I was scrolling through social media and came across their advertisement on this. Definitely a different approach than flight instructing, 500 hours minimum…

Brady

This is an absolutely incredible opportunity! I applied here in March of 2020 in the very beginning of the COVID pandemic. I anticipated regional jobs drying up and hoped to keep moving forward. I had just shy of 1500 hours and 250 multi and I didn’t get a call. This way 500 hour pilots can start building turbine time, learning jet aerodynamics and flying 121-like structures.

Very cool!

Hannah

1 Like

It really is! I actually know the Contour guys (former Xjt as are the Embraers). Good people.

Adam

While I did enjoy flight instructing, this is an amazing opportunity to start getting jet time very early in the career. If I was in that phase of my career, I would be giving this a very serious look.

This is a good opportunity to build turbine time and you can probably accumulate 1000+ hours in less than 2 years. My understanding is that there is a 5 year contract, though.

There’s an old saying you don’t get anything for nothing in this world.

Adam

1 Like

This looks like a great opportunity, and I hope it is one offered to me.
Have applied for three of the positions across the country. and will be grateful for any one of them.
Been flying for 20 years and now a Commercial pilot with instrument and Multi engine. a little over 1500 hours with the majority of this cross country. I have flown my Cessna 205 to all 48 US States and accumulated 180 hours of IFR time and over 100 hours of night flying. also enrolled with ATP for the ATP / CTP in June.
To prepare for the career change Recently gained my first 1st class medical and FCC radio permit but have turned 61 this year.
my question is: Do you think I’m too late to the game and if not what more can I do to prepare myself?

Orville,

This is a great opportunity but with 1500hrs, I’m curious why you haven’t applied to the 121 Regionals?

Adam

I did apply with SkyWest two months ago but I only this last week made a trip from Ohio to Nashville to put me over the 1500 hours. Also from the job postings I see an ATP is required?

I did apply with SkyWest two months ago but I only this last week made a trip from Ohio to Nashville to put me over the 1500 hours.
Also from the job postings I see an ATP is required and they prefer candidates to have 121 or 135 experience and I have non.

Orville,

Of course they prefer 121/91 experience. If you could hire some one with actual airline experience would you? That said it’s not required not is an ATP. You simply need to meet the ATP minimums hence why they list the specific times.

There are btw other Regionals out there.

Adam

did apply with SkyWest two months ago but I only this last week made a trip from Ohio to Nashville to put me over the 1500 hours.
Also from the job postings I see an ATP is required and they prefer candidates to have 121 or 135 experience and I have none.

I know the rumor mill is always turning haha but I have heard that Skywest has bought some stock into Contour and a possibility of some of our 200’s going over to them. But you never know if it’s true or not. But still could be a good way to get hours if instruction isn’t something that you want to do l.

Adam
Thank you,
Honestly I am not educated in the aviation business acumen. For that matter after 25 years as a hiring supervisor in my current role I’m just not sure where to look.
You here on Airline Pilot Life have been very helpful. Have been reading your comments for about six months now.

Thank you again
I just now applied for JSX

Orville,

With your time, you meet the requirements for all the regional airlines. If you get hired, most will cover the cost of your ATP CTP program. Just something to keep in mind…

Hannah

Orville,

If you’ve applied to the regionals and not heard anything back, you need to be reaching out to recruiters and hiring departments. Keep updating the application(s) and touching base, show you’re interested. Most (if not all) regionals will cover the costs of the ATP-CTP, the time may be responsible is if you go to a company like Part 135.

Brady