My Pilot Update

A few while back I was completely lost. I was getting a GED and I asked a few questions here and there and I pretty much came to the conclusion that a GED won’t work in the long run. Soon Later I got enrolled in a Online High School and I did some credit only courses as well. I applied to a aviation college and I got in however I decided to start flight training instead of college because I’m 15 right now and I don’t think I’m prepared for college. I graduate high school this march and I start flight school this May, when I turn 16! I’m super excited and I’m doing Online PPL Ground School Right now!!!

I am curious, what makes you think you are prepared for flight training if you are not prepared for college?

I have been to college and flight training, I can assure you that flight training is far more difficult and takes quite a bit more maturity than college.

Chris

1 Like

August,

I’m curious what your plan is for your flying career?

Adam

August,

While it’s great to have ambition and starting something at such age, you mention the struggle of obtaining the GED. Have you discussed with anyone that flying is much harder than high school or college?

Don’t cut yourself short, confidence is important in aviation and if you carry this mindset forward, you may struggle at one point. Will you just quit?

Brady

I can agree! However I have more flexibility in flight school than college. I would have had to stay away for 4 years from my family in a completely different place to attend college, whereas I can slowly and gradually work towards my pilot licenses. I would only be away for 3 months this year and then a few months after that for my ratings. This is a much better way for me to get my pilot licenses and still have time to attend college if I wish once I turn 18 :slight_smile:

August

Hey! About the GED I wasn’t having any problems obtaining it or having to study for it, it was the fact that I would lack on opportunities with a GED, that is why I enrolled in a online accredited high school for a legit diploma. If I would have had a GED I wouldn’t have been able to applied to and be accepted in the colleges that I had been today with a diploma! I hope that answers that!

August

Adam,

I plan on slowly getting myself familiar with aviation while I work for my licenses for 2 years gradually. By the time I turn 18 I should have my PPL, a few other ratings and I plan on having completed or started CPL Training. After that, I plan on building my flight hours before applying for a job at a low cost airline. I might attend a community college while building my flight hours as well! :slight_smile:

August

August,

Many things here:

1. While you may have “more flexibility” than college, airlines like American, United, etc. would prefer to see a 4-year degree. Are you planning on attending college at some point, whether in-person or online? No one here is advocating attending a University like Embry-Riddle for an aviation degree AND flight training program because quite frankly, we recommend getting a degree you’re interested IF something in aviation falls through.

2. You mention acquiring other ratings, what ratings are you talking about? You MUST be at LEAST 18 years of age to take the commercial checkride, 14 CFR 61.123.

3. If you don’t fly consistently you can expect to spend hundreds if not, thousands extra in additional training because proficiency only lasts so long. Why do you think ATP’s ACPP which thousand plus students graduate yearly are successful? This is also very important especially because when you get to the solo phase, you don’t want delays in training.

One question that is left unanswered which is a big one, do you have any flight experience in a small trainer? To say “I AM” going to do something without knowing if it is for you, is a bold statement.

Brady

Brady,

I’ll try to answer all of these questions to my best :))

1. Once I turn 18 I will consider attending a community or a 3 year college along with building my flight hours.

2. As soon as I turn 17 I will work towards my Night Rating, IFR and Single Engine Ratings. Then when I turn 18 I will work towards my CPL and MER Rating.

3. I do plan on occasionally building flight time before turning 17. As soon as I turn 17 I would be pretty much heavily involved with aircraft training for majority of my time.

As per flight experience, I do not have personal flight experience in any aircraft and while it may be a bold statement for me to be this sure about this career, I do have a Plan B which involves a significant other passion of mine, Besides that, the most important thing I have is my motivation that I derive from the aviation community and my family :slight_smile:

August

August,

Your plan is well, your plan and you seem confident in it. My one caveat is the above statement. Successful flight training is heavily dependent on consistency. There’s a reason why the airlines and the military train their pilots daily. These are perishable skills and doing your training “slowly” will only result in you spending alot more time and money than you need to.

As for the “I may get a degree” again that’s up to you but know as the shortage wanes having a degree or not could very much determine your success or failure in this industry.

Adam

1 Like

August
I really Admire your ambition to wanting to be a pilot. I wish I knew that I wanted to be a pilot at such young age, I would’ve been a lot further than where I am right now. My question to you is
How will you stand out from your colleagues? Even though there might seem to be shortage of pilots at the moment there is still a fair amount of competition amongst us all. I don’t think having all your licenses and a GED will make you stand out much, I’m a student pilot myself

Hey!

Sorry for the late reply. Just to clarify a few things I will be graduating with a High school diploma and not a GED and I don’t seek any special attention just because of my age or my other qualifications. I realize there is a lot of competition and I would rather blend in with other people if possible to ease my experience. I hope that clears it out! :slight_smile:

August