Missing fingers

It is my dream to become a pilot for a major airline. I’m ready to get started on my journey and before I get into all the debt of the school and such I need to know something. When my mother was pregnant with me she took some medicine and it caused me to be born without all my fingers. I can still function and do everything a normal person can. I am 20 and yet to have find something that I can’t do because of my hands. I would just like to know if me missing fingers would be a qualification that disqualify me in become a pilot for a Major airline. Thank you in advance.

Cody,

As always anything medical related we recommend you consult an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) as they are the experts and work with the FAA in these matters. That said I flew with a pilot when I was at ExpressJet (he’s now at United) who as you was born without most of his fingers. He was a great pilot (actually a he was a check airman) and had no issues career wise.

Adam

Cody,

I, too have known a pilot that is in your exact situation, he was able to get a “statement of demonstrated ability” from the FAA and as such has not had any career issues. Like Adam said though, it is imperative that you check with an FAA medical examiner for an official answer.

Chris