Instrument Checkride Pass

Hey, guys, I thought I would let you know that I passed my instrument checkride today. I am about three weeks behind because of the DPE availability here in Denver is tight. Spending every weekend in the Sim definitely paid off! I’m glad to have this one behind me!

Congratulations! Thanks for the update.

Chris

One of the harder ratings to get! High five!

Tory

Awesome Job! Have a blast in crew!!!

Congrats Lynn!

Which DPE did you take your checkride with?

I thought check rides weren’t supposed to be a learning experience…

Tory

:man_shrugging:. I felt like I learned a lot. Then again, I feel like anytime I’m with a pilot with more experience than me, I learn a lot. I guess you can take it with a grain of salt, haha.

If you have a good examiner you’ll always learn something!

Congrats!

Adam

Lynn,

Just be careful how you phrase the words “learned” and “check ride.” An applicant may learn in any environment, but examiners are prohibited from teaching during a check ride; hence, the excessive use of the word “demonstrated” in the PTS/ACS. Demonstrated, meaning the applicant/you demonstrated adequate knowledge and skill for each task without examiner guidance.

Tory

Thanks for the clarification. Definitely not what I meant. I’m pretty critical of my flying and am always thinking through what I can do better. I’m pretty sure I learn something new every time I fly. Especially when flying instruments.

Lynn,

I know exactly what you meant and that’s a great attitude. Further (and I’m not going to get into semantics here) but there’s no need to be careful how you phrase your words (is the FAA policing this?). I’ve had MANY checkrides, type rides and line checks. I’ve had GREAT examiners and some who were less than great and the good ones ALWAYS want you to come out of a checkride knowing more than you did when you went in. Of course you’re responsible for knowing the material and being capable of performing within the standards BUT there’s NOTHING in the FARs that prohibits an examiner from sharing information or technique. Most examiners have decades of experience and have an appreciation for aviation and want to share. ALWAYS let them, they can be an invaluable resource.

Two months ago I got a call from scheduling. I was due for a line check and the scheduler asked me if I would mind if during my line check, our company examiner got a line check by the FAA examiner? (In an unusual situation like this a pilot can decline). I said sure why not? The day of the line check both the examiner and the fed both thanked me for “agreeing” to participate. I said “my pleasure. I figure if I do a good job, which I believe I do, there’s nothing to worry about and between the 2 of you if there’s something I’m not doing well or could be doing better you’ll let me know”. The FAA examiner said “that’s a good pilot” :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for this, Adam. I really appreciate your words, and the inspiration to strive to be a better pilot :slight_smile: