Headset Question

What type of plug do I need? 2 plug battery or 2 plug coil cord? Doing some shopping today. :grin:

Thanks for clarifying!

That is exactly what that means.

Most regional jets are incredibly loud, I would not want to fly one without a headset.

Standard GA plugs work in most aircraft.

Joseph,

I’d be careful saying TSO headsets aren’t required. I don’t know what SkyWest’s policies are, but at Horizon, pilots are required to use a TSO approved headset because we’re required to use them below 18,000ft. I would bet SkyWest has the same policy. The policy probably isn’t being enforced.

Tory

I have worked at three airlines. All of them require the use of a TSO approved boom microphone (i.e. headset) below 18,000 to assist the cockpit voice recorder in best capturing audio.

Joseph,

While we appreciate your input, you should refrain from sweeping comments (particularly if you’re mistaken). I was at ExpressJet and they were adamant and enforced the rule that ALL headsets MUST be TSO’d.

Adam

FAA 23.1497 states that aircraft must have a cockpit voice recorder. It goes on to talk about requirements for area microphones, but never requires headsets in any way.
“Current regulations require that 15 minutes to 30 minutes of cockpit voice communication be recorded and do not specify the recording medium.”
AC 20-186 states that the CVR must record the " 1. hand microphone, boom microphone, and oxygen mask microphone;"
FAR 23 also goes on to say that IF headsets are used, the aural warnings must be loud enough to hear.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot find anything in FAA rules that require a headset. Airline rules only?

Joseph,

Check your OpsSpecs in your company manual.

Tory

Joseph,

Airlines actually operate under their FAA approved Operations Specifications, which are manifested in the Flight Operations Manual (or document of similar name). This is why we carry copies of our FOMs and not FAR/AIMs. If it is in the FOM, then the rule has the same weight as a FAR does, so it is not just company policy, it is FAA policy. Your airline seems to have more relaxed rules about this than other airlines. With that in mind, it is not appropriate to recommend to anybody to purchase a non TSO headset and to be honest, I would not be using one myself if I were you.

Chris

FAA administers legal interpretation reads:
"Airworthiness standards specified in 14 CFR part 25 do not mandate that transport category aircraft be specifically equipped with headsets for their flightcrew. Those standards however, do require aircraft to be equipped with “two systems for two-way radio communications, with controls for each accessible from each pilot station.” This requirement is set forth in
§ 25.1307(d). A manufacturer may choose to incorporate crewmember headsets as part of those systems. When a manufacturer chooses to include headsets as part of these systems, such equipment must “function properly when installed,” as required by § 25.1301(d), and “must be designed to ensure that they perform their intended functions under any foreseeable operating condition” as set forth in § 25.1309(a). Additionally, the equipment must meet the fire protection

test criteria specified in § 25.853(a) and the fire protection requirements of § 25.869(a). The aircraft’s ventilation system must also meet the requirements of § 25.831 in the event of any probable failure conditions of the equipment. If a manufacturer chooses to install headsets in order to meet these airworthiness standards, the headsets are only required to meet the applicable airworthiness standards. Compliance with the performance standards specified by an applicable TSO is only required if specified by the type design."

Joseph,

With all due respect, you are not understanding what we are saying here. Most airlines require pilots to wear headsets below 18,000, most airlines (mine included) require the use of TSO approved headsets. It does not matter one bit what the FARs state, the airline’s Flight Operations Manual is the approved set of FAA rules for that specific airline. If the FOM requires TSO approved headsets, as most do, then you sure as heck better have one on.

Now your airline might be different and that is great for you, but most people will need to have TSO approved headsets, which is why we recommend them.

Chris

So what you are saying is, If I understand you correctly, The FARs do not require a TSO headset, but your airline’s FOM might. So check with your airline and see if that particular one requires a TSO headset.
In that case, I hope your employer is following OSHA 19.132(h)(1) and issues you a headset at no cost.
(yes, I am an OSHA manager as well)
And yes, we are required to use a headset for T/O and below 18000. (Never said to not use any headset, just questioning the TSO requirement.)

Your airline’s FOM is their FARs, that is the point I am trying to get across.

OSHA does not apply to airline pilots: https://www.osha.gov/dep/letters/04012014_AircraftCabinCrewmembers.html

Airlines do provide headsets that stay in the airplane.

Joseph,

As someone who flies for a Regional I’m sort of surprised you don’t know that the FARs don’t cover every aspect of an airline’s rules and regs. Can you tell me where in the FARs it says that pilots who fly for Hawaiian Airlines must wear grey uniforms provided by Affinity Apparel? I’ll save you time, it doesn’t but our Flight Ops Manual says that we do and if we don’t we’re subject to discipline up to and including termination.

As to your OSHA nonsense, yes, every airline I’m aware of provides headsets in every cockpit. Now if you want better you’re more than welcome to purchase one but it must comply.

You’re passionate but frankly just repeating yourself doesn’t give your argument any strength.

Adam

Thanks Chris, I learn something new every day.

1 Like

So do I :slight_smile:

Hi Adam.

Looking to purchase the Bose A20 Headset myself as I begin my journey as an Airline Pilot. Can you clarify regarding Bluetooth Headsets. You state “many airlines prohibit the use of BT headsets.” To be clear, does that mean Airlines just prohibit using the Bluetooth function on your headset while you’re flying or does that mean any headset with a Bluetooth function is prohibited, regardless of if you’re using the BT or not in flight? I want to by the A20 w/ BT but not if I can’t use it at all at the airlines, even if I’m not using the BT function.