Headset Question

Before I begin, I realize this topic has been discussed in depth before and I’ve read the comments on those threads.

My previous mom and pop flight school gave me a starter pack that included a bunch of jeppesen coursebooks and an ASA HS-1A headset. I was wondering if I should invest in a higher quality headset (Bose A20’s if my financial situation permits) or if the ASA’s will do fine at least until my CFI days start. (I will sell the books if anybody wants them… I don’t need this many books teaching the same stuff)

I’m not sure if anyone here has used the HS-1A’s before, they don’t seem to be very popular. They clamp very very tightly on your head and the audio quality is subpar at best. I have tried to leave them clamped on the box to perhaps stretch them out a bit but it has done nothing. I still feel like my head is being squeezed and it gives me a headache. They’re also on the heavier side. But since their design is so close to the DC headsets, I was wondering if the DC’s suffer from the same problems…

TL;DR: Has anyone here ever used HS-1A’s here? Is it something that one could get used to? Are the DC headsets also just as bad as these ones? Also, anyone aware of any discounts or cheaper ways of acquiring these? Perhaps a pilot who failed out of the program? (sounds evil but I assume it happens often)

Efe,

I have to say you have an interesting way of asking questions? If you’ve read the other threads you know my thoughts. It’s YOUR head being clamped and YOU’RE the guy who needs to hear and understand ATC. Just know there will be some long days in the airplane. All I can tell you is I never regretted investing in my Bose but it’s YOUR decision.

Adam

Adam, I’m not sure why you get so frustrated with my questions. I’m just asking for opinions, especially about this specific headset and how it compares to the DC’s, since nobody has mentioned it before. I’m well aware that it’s MY decision, I’m not asking anyone to make decisions for me here. Chill out.

Also, yes I do know your thoughts on the A20. Which is another reason why I’m considering them. But realize that this wasn’t a question directed specifically at you. It’s just to see if anyone here has experience with the hs-1a.

Efe,

I would invest in a better headset. If my headset was giving me a headache, I would become irritable. Learning to fly is hard enough as it is.

I will always be bias towards Bose A20s. My next choice would be DC PRO-X or DC ONE-X. I wish DC would come in black. Not a fan of snot green.

Tory

1 Like

Efe,

I apologize if I sounded frustrated, def not my intent. I was simply saying you articulated the pros and cons very well and was simply suggesting you hear your own words. What does it matter other’s experience with the ASA’s if you have had you’re own. YOU said the ASA’s clamp your head, are heavy and have sub-par audio quality. You also said you’ve read the other threads where I express my deep love for the Bose. As for the DC’s they make a very wide range of headsets. All are good quality but vary greatly in weight and sound quality.

For what it’s worth I’m currently sitting on a deck admiring the Pacific. I literally could not be any more chill :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Efe,

I am a big fan of the David Clarke’s. I feel that they make an excellent headset and are a very good value for the price. If yuor current headsets are uncomfortable, I would ditch them as soon as possible.

Chris

1 Like

Adam, sorry for the confusion. It’s hard to convey/read tone over text sometimes. I guess I’m just looking for excuses not to drop $1k on replacing something that I could perhaps put up with? It’s a big investment, especially as a student with not much of an income. These coming months/years will be financially challenging and I’m just trying to be very frugal. I don’t know how anyone survives the pre-airline stage of this career path. Thankfully it’s just 2-3 years.

That being said, I’ll probably go with the A20’s and think of it as a long term investment. I’ve read people using it well into their airline careers so, might as well get on with it sooner than later and save myself the headache.

1 Like

Efe,

No sorry needed, it’s all good. I know this whole endeavor is VERY expensive but as you said you’re investing in your future and that’s a good thing.

Oh and don’t listen to Chris, he’s still mad he never got the Bose :wink:

Adam

Hi @tokmanex
I use a Peltor 7k Pro GT headset and it works great (I purchased it in 04 when I first started flying), never used a Bose so can’t speak to that but there are lots of other headsets out there and it’s definitely worth finding ones that are comfortable and work well for you. I check Craigslist once a month in search of a nice BT enabled noise-canceling set though.

Morris,

And why may I ask are you looking for a BT headset? FYI many airlines prohibit the use of BT headsets.

Adam

Hello, should I buy the Bose A20 with BT or just the regular one? I wanted something that I would be able to use in the airlines given the price range. Finally starting in two weeks!!

Michelle,

Everyone has a different preference for different reasons. I along with most pilots don’t see the need for Bluetooth as even on long flights I’m not trying to listen to music and possibly miss something important from ATC or my airplane.

As far as the Bose there is a lot of debate (I personally enjoy by DCs at the moment) some love the Bose look, feel and noise cancelling (::Cough:: @Adam) others think the noise cancelling takes away from feeling the airplane (even though you can kill the noise canceling whenever you want) and others are turned off on the price.

My suggestion is check out Sportys where you can try a headset and return for another within 30 days. It’s not what others think but what you think as you are the one that has to deal with them.

1 Like

Tom’s post is above is pretty spot on. The only thing I’ll add is that there are some practical uses for the Bluetooth that make it worth the extra money, in my opinion. While I was on crew, my partner had the A20s with Bluetooth, and we were able to call to get clearance from ATP while in the plane and ready to depart, because he was able to call from his phone and speak to them via headset.

That would also mean you’d theoretically be able to do the same if there were ever an issue arise and you needed to call the Tower from the cockpit. I like the added “protection” there, even if just for peace of mind.

Michelle,

As the others have said it’s a personal preference thing. I’m a huge fan of the Bose but not the Bluetooth. If you have it and see others using it inappropriately (ie, rocking out in the cockpit) you might as well.

As for the whole calling dispatch or the tower fortunately headsets are removable and cellphones have speakers. That seems to work just fine.

Adam

Those speakers don’t work so well when you’re in a Cessna with the engine running! :rofl:

2 Likes

Forgive me it’s been a while.

Adam

3 Likes

Thank you all for the reply. I think I’ll settle with the A20 without the BT. If the only use of the BT is for calling and music, I think I’ll just go ahead and save the hundred bucks.

Have you looked at ear-bud headsets? I fly with the Quiet Technology Halo, have a backup Puretone Nano, and a third Clarity Aloft set for emergencies. None are head clamps, none will make you sweat in the summer and they are all great for noise attenuation without batteries.

It says that Halo headsets are not TSO certified for 121 or 135 ops, does that mean I can’t take it to the airlines with me?

No, most regional airplanes are certified without headset. They have a hand mic and speaker, so headset is optional. We can use whatever we want at SkyWest.