Flight school and career pilot questions

I was wondering if a pilot would be able to get through flight school / training and be a successful pilot if they had a very mild intention tremor in their hand. Would that be viewed as a disqualifier for the job or have you seen that before?

Also how long after completing your ATPL program did it take for you to complete the necessary flying hours to apply for a major airline and were you able to do this without having a part time job doing something else?

David,

As for your medical question, you will need to consult with a FAA medical examiner as they are the only ones that can answer those kinds of questions. I would recommend applying for a first class medical as it is what you will need to enroll at ATP and to be an airline pilot.

Check out our biographies sections for information on how long it took us. Bear in mind that everybody’s experiences are different, but the average is 5-10 years from starting at a regional to being hired by a major airline.

Chris

David,

As Chris said, any medical condition is best discussed with an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner). They can determine if you’re eligible for a First Class medical or not. If you can obtain one you should be fine. That said from what I understand an Intention Tremor can interfere with skills that require precision. While most of flying relies mainly on large motor skills, many sims and procedural trainers use screens rather than actual mechanical switches and those screens are very sensitive to touch. I’m obviously no expert but I’m curious if that would impact your performance once you got to an airline.

As for your pay question that’s simply impossible to answer as everyone’s financial situation is different. I’ve never had to hold another job but I know people at Majors who still do.

Adam

Thanks for the information and detailed response. I am surprised people at Majors still have other jobs, I thought flying commercial would make it almost impossible to have the time for another job.

I don’t think I’d have trouble passing an aviation medical but if the Sims required have very sensitive screen controls it may or may not effect performance.
I will definitely ask about it though.

David,

One of the strange and interesting aspects of this job is the more senior you get the easier it becomes and the less you actually have to work. I know senior Capts who fly only 8 days a month. They have other jobs, businesses etc. just because they can.

Adam