Finally Enrolled!

On single engine crew I just went from ISP down to RDU, then a few trips back and forth to RIC. Nothing crazy.

Multi engine crew was a little more interesting, we had an engine failure during our landing flare into ILG. Granted, we were wheels down when the engine decided to quit but it was running rough on final. I guess that’s worth mentioning haha. We got airlined to LZU, and flew back up to ISP, then a couple trips back and forth to RIC-ISP and that’s all she wrote.

Jonathan

2 Likes

Jonathan,

Not taking away from your Sully-esque accomplishment, but if your engine’s going to fail, that’s pretty much where you want it to happen :wink:

Adam

5 Likes

Jonathan,

At the risk of taking this thread off track for a moment, an already rough running engine on final that quits with the power levers at idle in the flare with no damage to the engine is hardly an engine failure. To piggyback on Adam’s point, even if it was an engine failure, it occurred on the ground.

Tory

1 Like

Ah bla bla bla, its an engine failure on the ground. You guys are discrediting my Sully story. (Kidding)

I was pilot monitoring on that flight, my crew partner and I spoke to maintenance for a follow up because we were curious as to what caused it. (I suspected carb ice). Maintenance said they changed the carburetor. Apparently, that wasn’t the first time the engine decided to quit on that particular a/c.

I’m not discrediting your experience. I’m just shedding light on your choice of words. A friend of mine just sent me this. FL190 over BNA.
image IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1467.jpeg

2 Likes

Geez, I’ll take a backseat. :fearful:

1 Like

I am going to disagree with my esteemed fellow pilots and call this an emergency. A rough running engine could have gotten a lot worse if you had gone around and initiated full power. If that had been an airliner, you would have been declaring an emergency for the rough running engine. I would have in thew Seminole too, if time had permitted.

At no point was I trying to steal his thunder or make light of it, I simply said IF your going to lose one that’s a good place for it to happen.

When’s the movie coming out? :wink:

Adam

2 Likes

Wow talk about perfect time and opportunity!!! Best of luck and maybe we will run into each other in the airlines.

Also
I couldn’t remember if you guys brought a pup down or not so didn’t want to mistakenly say it. lol

Hey all,

Back with an update: I interviewed with Envoy today and was selected as a Cadet Instructor! What a way to start off 2020. Very happy man right now :man_dancing:t2:

Cheers,
Jonathan

1 Like

Hey Jonathan,

Congratulations on your achievement. I have a question as a beginner. Do you have to have a bachelors degree in aviation to be a cadet instructor ? I have a bachelors in Business management.

Kevin

Jonathan,

That is awesome. Congratulations! Thank you for the update, please keep them coming.

Chris

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

You don’t need a bachelors but I’m sure it helps. I have a bachelors in Economics but wasn’t asked about it during the interview process(except when providing my transcripts). Here’s a link that shows the minimum requirements for cadets: https://www.envoyair.com/cadet-program/

Jonathan

Hey all, it’s been a while! I figured I’d stop by and give y’all an update on how it’s been going for me. I’ve been instructing for just about 6 months in Carlsbad, CA. It’s interesting times to say the least, but we have been flying a lot despite of it all! It has been an absolute pleasure sharing my knowledge with students who share the same dream as me. I can say that I find a lot of joy in instructing and I am definitely enjoying the ride! I was recently promoted to Lead Flight Instructor at my location and have accumulated just about 700hrs total.

I’ve been hearing a lot of students/instructors openly talk about “taking a break” or maybe taking their foot off the gas to see what happens with the industry. I personally have no plans on slowing down and will fly as much as I can with the hopes that things will be back to normal by next year… but hey, who knows! I’m just grateful that I’m still able to do what I love.

Hope all is well!

Jonathan

1 Like

Jonathan,

Glad you’re doing well and enjoying the process. It’s ALWAYS better to be ahead. Let the others coast. You’ll be their Captain!

Adam

2 Likes

Jonathan,

I like your plan a lot better than those wanting to slow down. It reminds me of a quote from General Patton:

"Now, there’s another thing I want you to remember. I don’t want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position.

We’re not holding anything. Let the enemy do that.

We are advancing constantly and we’re not interested in holding onto anything – except the enemy."

General Patton went on to lead the most successful military campaign in the history of the world with his march across France and Germany. The moral of the story is always keep the eye on the prize and keep moving towards it.

Chris

2 Likes

Hi all,

Just checking in with an update. From my last update to now, I’ve completed the ATP-CTP course and I just hit 1,000 hours of flight time! I started the program just about 2 years ago from zero time and it is amazing how far I’ve come. I think it really hit me when I was in the 737/A320 sim for ATP-CTP. Just 2.5 years ago I was loading those types of aircraft for Delta, and here I am landing it in the sim.:exploding_head:

Flying has slowed down a bit from my last update because of student load and some other factors. I’m recently engaged so wedding planning is almost a full time job. Although, I just sit there with a beer, smiling and nodding to my fiancée’s suggestions lol.

As of now, I am still an Envoy Cadet Instructor but haven’t heard many updates from them other than them resuming training for recurrent training. I am hoping by the time I get to magical 1500 they will be ready for me, but we’ll see what happens!

I hope all is well with you all!

Jonathan

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ll be ready in good time!:crossed_fingers:t3: Thanks for the update Jonathan!

Tory

2 Likes

Jonathan,
Congrats! Another big milestone! Keep flying, stay safe and your timing could really end up working out pretty perfect!

-Hannah

1 Like

Jonathan,

Thanks for the update and glad you’re doing well. Sounds like just as you’re ready they’ll be ready too!

Keep us posted!

Adam

1 Like