Finally Enrolled!

Adam,

The risk that I’m saying is the possibility of not being hired at ATP because of the 120% completion time. If I go for my MEI, it may put me past the time and risk my job at ATP. Now, I ask myself, is the MEI worth the risk of losing out on a great opportunity at ATP? I decided to opt out for that reason, and that reason only. It’s not because of the fear of a check ride bust. I’ve always been a fan of “ never say no to training”, but in my situation, I believe that the best option for me is to hold off on it for now.

Fair enough.

Adam

Incredible!

Hi all,

Just checking in with what’s been going on lately. I’ve decided to stay with ATP to instruct and picked the CRQ location in San Diego. I did all of my training at ISP on Long Island, NY but that location has no availability. I figured that’s a perfect excuse to get some west coast flying in :wink:. I’m scheduled for indoc on 01/13, so in the time being, I’ve been studying the Cessna (did all my training in the archer).

I’ve also got invited to interview with Envoy. I’m planning on scheduling the interview right after I get settled in San Diego. So I’ve also been brushing up on my interview skills and some instrument stuff to prepare. The studying never stops y’all, but I’m not complaining :grin:

Happy Holidays!

Jonathan

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Good luck to you! “It’s not luck” but I couldn’t think of anything else to say:)

Sounds like everything is falling into place!

So, does that mean you decided to become an MEI also? Or have you been hired as a CFI/CFII?

Tory

Tory,

Yup, exciting times ahead. I’m really looking forward to instructing. I was hired on as a CFI/CFII.

Jonathan

1 Like

Hey, Jonathan. Congrats on passing your check ride. I am assuming that you are a student Pilot and I am Currently a high schooler and interested in Aviation as well so, I was curious to know about your journey… if you can just post a mini outline for what you did to get here and your plans and how you decided your Flight Program or school. It would be greatly appreciated and would help a lot. Thank You.

Mohsina

Congrats and enjoy the west coast. Is “the wife” joining you or is she staying on the East Coast for now?

1 Like

Mohsina,

Thank you. I passed my last checkride with ATP last month. I started the program on Jan 28th, 2019, so it took me just about 10 months to complete the program (from zero hours).

Outline

• Did my research on ATP and read threads on this forum

• secured the financing, enrolled at the ISP location about 3 months in advance

• used the 3 months to prepare for the program

• Started the program on 01/28. Started flying right away!

• after some evaluation flights to make sure you are learning at a normal pace, I Solo’d

• got my PPL in May, then jumped right into instrument training the next day

• after two months of living and breathing instrument stuff, passed my instrument rating checkride in July

• went on crew with another student for 40 hours of flight time. (Flying around the country to build flight time)

• as soon as I completed crew, I started with commercial training. (At this point, the training speeds up drastically)

• earned my commercial cert by late August.

• scheduled for CFI academy the next week which was the first week of September in LZU.

• after about a month, earned my CFI in early October.

• came back to ISP to take my CFII. ( 2 weeks after my CFI)

• jumped right into commercial multi engine training the day after my CFII.

• passed my commercial multi rating in November

• went on multi engine crew for 20 flight hours

• program complete

Sorry if I didn’t go into every little detail, but ATP’s website gives you a pretty good idea what to expect. My program is considered the “old program”, so chances are you will have a different outline than I did.

Jonathan

4 Likes

Thanks, Tom!

Haha, “ the wife” will be joining me, along with our dog. It was always a goal of ours to live in Cali for a while, so it worked out great.

What are your plans?

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Congrats on accepting the job with ATP, I think you will be pleased with that decision. Also, thank you for taking the time to post about your experiences in the program, we appreciate it.

Chris

1 Like

Does your location have the g1000 172s?

Nope, c172 steam gauge.

Ahh. You flew steam gauge archers with the g430?

1 Like

Jonathan,

Noiceeeee!..best of luck to you out west. Sounds like the program followed suit and you were able to have the outcome of a dream! Where all did you go for your crew??

Josh and his G1000s I tell you, he lives for them I feel :wink:

Brady

1 Like

Wow Brady Putting me on blast😂

2 Likes

Thank you for updating us throughout your journey! Just one quick question, was the San Diego the only job open as a CFI or was it just the one you chose, because you wanted to live in Cali anyways?

I flew the g500 archers in NY, I think all of ATP’s archers are g500/1000 equipped.

There were multiple locations open at a time all given in a first come first serve basis. I believe Seattle, Oregon, Arizona and a few locations in Cali were open when I picked. But that changes VERY often. Location availability can change multiple times in a day.

1 Like