Courses

Hello Chris,

Thank you for taking time out to contact me. I have a lot of questions. I am 28 years old and as a little girl I always wanted to become a pilot, because I grew up in the airport as my dad was the station manager, it’s almost as if I can’t be happy until I achieve my dreams , but I am worried about what it entails, do i have to be a guru in mathematics and physics, are you guys solving mathematics problems? Or I will be taught this things. I wasn’t really good in mathematics back in college. Please tell me about books I can read before I commit to this I want to make sure it’s something I can do.

Also is there a program at ATP that allows new students tour around the school before we get in just to have a fill of it.

Thank you.

Esther Alexandra Giwah from Austin Texas.

Esther,

I’m going to respond for Chris since it’s probably past his bedtime. No you don’t need to be a “guru” and you will be taught the things you need to know, but yes you do need some good basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). As far as books go the entire FAA library is available online for free (https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/), I recommend you start with the Airplane Flying Handbook and the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Both will give you a good introduction of the concepts you need to understand.

You can call ATP directly and schedule a tour and an Intro Flight.

Adam

Esther,

Please take a look at the FAQ section as many of your questions will be answered there.

That being said, you certainly do not need to be an expert in physics or mathematics, but you will need to have a general understanding of both. Of course the relevant topics from both subjects will be taught to you, but you will need to come prepared with a basic of understanding of each.

I am a big fan of this book for teaching the basics of flying: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Private-Pilot-Manual-by-Jeppesen-Sanderson/142080642753?epid=248838&hash=item2114aa8ec1:g:oBUAAOSw-itXqq3Z:rk:2:pf:0

Chris

I’m so sorry to be replying so late. thank you for taking time out to respond to my questions, i scheduled my tour and an Intro Flight to get an insight and also used the time to build up my credit and figure out financing

Chris,
I am looking at the FAQ section and i have seen many questions that i had in mind already answered there, With your explanation i most certainly feel more confident and i understand now that i need to have the basic understanding of math and physics.