Cons of getting PPL local then atp?

I’ve found that if I went this route, it would save 6,000 ~ 7,000 dollars, and I was wondering if there were any cons.

Austin,

A couple of things. First off to get credit for your PPL you need at least 78hrs of flight time. Most local schools quote the FAA minimum of 40 so know you’ll have pay for almost double that amount of time which will eat up alot of what you think you’ll save.

Second, training local is often inefficient. Most people try and do it part-time and even if you don’t often the school doesn’t have the resources to have you fly more (instructors and airplanes). Far too many start their training locally (like Chris and I did) and find the experience very expensive and frustrating.

Finally I’ll assume one of the reasons you want to do the bulk of your training with ATP is the quality of their training. Why wouldn’t you want to start with the top program in the country day one?

That all said the decision is yours. I would simply encourage to set a realistic timeline for your progress and is it isn’t happening to cut and run.

Adam

Adam,

The main reason I would like to go to a local school is that it seems that ATP is very do-it-or-don’t. I’m going to be in college and working, so I would like to do something more casual for now. I’m also not 18 yet (which I probably should have prefaced before), so I would not be able to until then.

Austin

Austin,

Fair enough but my caveat stands. If things are progressing don’t keep throwing money at it.

Adam

I’ve started doing my training “locally”. I’m glad I did because I still not 1000% I can handle it. My flight instructor is really excited because he thinks I can be his first 40 hour student. Also, this year we just aren’t in a position logistically for me to not be working and to be at the airport all day. But after my first two lessons, I’ve felt a mix of airsickness or something (even today after work I feel a little off from having earpods in…I feel a little queesy when I put on my headset as well). So, I am at the stage of making sure I can just physically handle the whole thing.

Austin,

Just keep in mind, flying is made up of perishable skills. If you don’t keep working on them consistently, your skills will degrade. It would be like taking 3 steps forward then two steps back. Progress, but slow and expensive.

Hannah

Martin,

Don’t get discouraged! I flew 17 hours before starting ATP to work on getting over airsickness. It’s simply the fluid in your inner ear slushing around. If you can steady your head, look at the horizon, keep the cabin cool and breath slowly you can take back control. Food in you stomach helps and so does bracelets and patches. Always carry an airsickness bag. If you have to, oh well! You’ll feel better afterwords and it takes some of the fear away. I had to a time or two in my private training! Lastly, don’t use noise canceling headsets. That makes it worse.

Hannah

Yeah, my ears are messed up lately. I’ve even been feeling a little off after work lately. Okay, I was wondering how much flying people have done before jumping into ATP (if accepted with no PPL).

Of course, my first lesson was turns around a point and S turns. And a couple of days ago I only had a short time available so my instructor introduced simulated instrument (didn’t feel as airsick after that but him putting me in strange attitudes with my eyes closed got me a little bit, but the cockpit was cool). Plus second landing ever, first at KMKE Milwaukee Mitchell International. Snuck in before the big National Guard transport plane came back around.

Martin,

It has been a long time since I actively instructed, but turns around a point and S turns seem like a bit much for the first lesson, as does simulated instrument on the second lesson and landing at MKE. Do you know if your instructor is following a particular syllabus?

Chris

Ridiculous on lesson 2. Id be looking elsewhere…

Adam

Martin,

I’m sorry… turns around a point and s-turns during your first lesson? Say what… something seems off there. As your first lesson, you should be introduced to basic flight maneuvers such as climbs, descents and turns. I’ve never expected a Day 1 student to do s-turns. And then to read about Day 2 stuff, don’t say the name of this flight school, but I’d be turning the other way. Find another one nearby and inquire, go take a lesson and see the difference. Seems fishy.

Brady

Martin,

I’d speak to your instructor and let them know your issues with motion sickness. If they don’t ease up and start focusing on basic flight maneuvers, I’d explore the idea of getting a different instructor.

Hannah

Yeah, pretty accelerated, but not overwhelming. Been handling the radios as well. Didn’t have any issues doing the turns. Obviously more practice to tighten up. No real issues besides doing a bunch of turns around a point and a bunch of Ss will do that. Been some good turbulence as well. Hopefully, a morning lesson will yield calmer air.

I have three hours blocked for Wednesday, so I’ll make sure to go over basic maneuvers.

Martin,

Just to be clear here. four airline pilot mentors, all of us CFIs, are telling you that this CFI is not conducting training in the order they should be. Whether you could do the turns around point well or not is not the concern, it is that you are not at an appropriate place in your training to be doing this maneuver, or landing at MKE, or working on instrument skills. The basics have to be built first, your CFI is not working on those with you.

Chris

1 Like

The most confusing thing to me here, is that your CFI, who presumably knows that you’ve been having motion sickness and some ‘new to flying’ nausea, decided to show you simulated instrument on the second lesson. Certainly doesn’t seem like the best idea, and I can understand why you aren’t feeling well afterwards. It can be very disorienting for the first time! It normally takes a couple of lessons to get accustomed to straight and level, turns, climbs, descents.

Also, I’d suggest that you not worry about ‘being his first 40 hour student’. 40 hours, 75 hours, 100 hours, 200 hours; no one will ask you how many hours it took. All they care about is whether you passed the checkride without any failures. Take the checkride when you are confident you will pass first try.

Roscoe

Yeah, actually felt better after the second lesson. Yup, I’m not worried about the hours. If I want PPL credit at ATP I need 80 or so (I don’t have the number in front of me) anyway. We need to sit down and talk curriculum. I’m using sporty’s ground school and they have a detailed curriculum on there for cfi and student to use (really nice linked to the videos and book materials).

Thanks for the advice.

Martin,

I think you need to take a step back and look at all of our concerns regarding this “training footprint” you’re in. You’re telling us Day 1 and Day 2 you’re doing maneuvers and instrument training yet haven’t said you did basic maneuvers such as climbs, turns and descents. This is a major red flag in my eyes, and I truly think you’re headed in the wrong direction with this school.

Brady