ATP’s Second Piper Archer Order

ATP announced yesterday at the Sun-N-Fun Airshow it’s second order of 100 Additional Piper Archers. This will bring the Archer count to 200, and the total fleet size to nearly 400 over the next few years.

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12407350/atp-flight-school-places-second-order-for-100-archer-txs

2 Likes

Pretty cool, that is a massive fleet. In fact, it is more airplanes than many airlines have.

2 Likes

Almost 10 times the size of Hawaiian’s fleet!

Adam

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

If you get your PPL before attending ATP in an aircraft that ATP doesn’t fly, for example a Cessna 152, would you have to get checked out in ATP’s Piper or 172 before starting the course? Or do you hop right in and learn along the way? Do some locations have both 172s and Piper Archers (I’m looking into the Islip, NY location)? If so, do you choose which one you train in or is it based on availability? Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

You would not need to spend any additional money being checked out in a new airplane, you would just learn over the course of the first few hours in it. I know it might sound a bit crazy to you now, bt the transition from a 152 to an Archer is really not that hard. They are all airplanes with basic instrumentation and a GPS. Now when you switch from a Boeing to an Airbus, that is a big deal.

Most locations have one type of aircraft or the other. You will do the vast majority of your flying in the type of airplane that is at your location. I would not let aircraft type influence your location decision, they all do the same job.

Chris

Matt,

Remember your PPL says Single Engine Land, not Cessna or Piper. No type ratings or transition courses required.

Adam