ATP Required?

Greetings all,

I am about six months from starting my application process and was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to have an ATP cert to apply to the majors. I have 3000+ hours, mostly in the F/A-18 series aircraft and have instructed in advanced jet trainers and as a TOPGUN graduate and Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor.

Is it possible to be hired and have the airline get me an ATP cert during training? I am hearing differing answers but suspect some are pretty off base. I thought it would be worth asking here before shelling out 8K$.

I appreciate the time and advice.

Thank you!

JJ,

While you certainly have impressive credentials, due to the recent ATP changes I’m afraid you’re probably going to have to spend the money. While the Regionals out of necessity have all set up ATP-CTP programs (some outsource it), the Majors don’t have to as there’s a steady stream of Regional Capts with their ATPs. Further if you have 3,000hrs in F18s and other fighters only, it also means you’re most likely centerline thrust restricted which would need to be removed. Again something the Majors want taken care of before they hire you.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the response! That is sort of what I figured…and now why I am researching ATP options. Thankfully last year the FAA removed our centerline thrust restriction, which is nice.

I appreciate the help!

There are schools that focus on Military to ATP transitions. I’m not saying there’s any benefit with them over any normal flight school, but I think there are some nuances, for example converting your military flight records into something understood by commercial operators.

Here is one such program: https://mil2atp.com/

Thanks John! I actually had a squadronmate go through mil2atp and he had great things to say about it. I like that they include interview prep and a complete application review (I have very little civilian aviation experience and I am finding it to be a completely different world…like talking on VHF).

I have heard great things about the ATP company that sponsors this forum as well. I left a message but havent heard back. I will try again.

I appreciate the advice, thank you!

I did a check of the various major airline websites. Some require pilots to have an ATP, others do not. Although those that do not still require the ATP written to be complete. I personally think that it would look a lot better to the airlines to have your ATP.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you! The more I research it, and the more I hear from you guys, it seems like removing the variable of not having one is the more prudent course of action. On another note, do the majors care about education beyond simply having a BA check in the block? I have a masters in business finance…does that beef up a resume or do they typically not care after the requisite BA?

Thanks!

JJ,

The masters will be nice, but it will not be the thing that gets you a job. The majors are primarily interested in flight time and experience, which it sounds like you have,

Chris

The problem is to take the ATP written you now need to go through the ATP-CTP course and that’s the expense he’s trying to avoid.

Adam

1 Like

The biggest factor I have seen for military folks getting on directly with the majors is currency. It sounds like you tick every other box. If you happen to NOT be current, you could potentially kill 2 birds with 1 stone here. I’d apply to the regionals and get your ATP through their training program while also getting current and adding 121 time to your resume. I interviewed many people in this exact situation when I was at my regional airline. I’d say it’s likely you wouldn’t be there even close to a year before hearing from a major.

1 Like

Thanks Jordan. Fortunately I will be relinquishing my squadron command right at my 20 years/navy retirement, so I will be current and ready to go. Hopefully that helps.

I really appreciate all of the input from the forum, thank you guys!