ATP Instructor Pay

With all due respect, if you haven’t been to Japan you haven’t had ramen. Ever since college kids discovered instant ramen it’s gotten a really bad rap. Ramen in Japan is an artform so DON’T DIS THE RAMEN! :slight_smile:

Ramen Museum Yokohama! 12 Ramen Shops selling regional favorites.

6 Likes

Most true statement statement on this entire website! :joy:

What is gonna happen to my Tution reimbursement if I quit instructing at atp after getting 500hr?

You would not be eligible for it.

That’s an easy one. You won’t get any!

Adam

Tinsae,

Well first of all tuition reimbursement is usually not available until a
CFI has a minimum of 500 hours, but if a CFI leaves ATP or chooses not to
fly for the airline that is supporting them, the CFI has to give the money
back.

Tory

1 Like

To further explain the Tuition reimbursement is not just a “gimme”. It’s part of a conditional agreement of employment from one of ATPs Regional partners. They know ATP, they know ATP will not only supply you with enough opportunities to build your required hours in a relatively short period of time, they also know ATP will keep an eye on you and your performance as a pilot. If you’re not instructing for ATP they really have no way ttyl monitor what you’re doing or how long you’ll take to show up for the job. Therefore no ATP instructor gig, no Tuition Reimbursement.

Adam

So is tuition reimbursement paid to the individual or to the individuals loan?

Also if I quit or change the airline do I have to pay all the loan money immediately ?

To the individual since there’s no requirement to have a loan. But again, the airline needs to be able to keep track of their investment (ie, YOU).

Adam

The loan is the loan and has nothing to do with Tuition Reimbursement. Your loan payments start when you finish your training (it is sometimes possible to defer payments but that will result in much more interest). Regardless of what airline you fly for your loan payments will be due.

Adam

Tinsae,

I have a question? Why are you so interested in quitting ATP or the airlines? Why do you think you would?

Adam

The reimbursement can actually be paid directly to either the bank or the
individual. I had the option, but chose to have the money sent directly to
the bank.

Tory

2 Likes

I I am 17 years old and I don’t even have private pilot license but when I research about ATP I figured out that they pay $1000 a month for CFI and I don’t think that is enough money and the instructors are also a full time workers, I don’t think that is fair even though there is Tution reimbursement, so my plan is to go to ATP and get all my licenses then work for 6 month as a CFI at ATP then I want to work for another airline (par time CFI) while getting my aironautical degree online at embry riddle

$1000/mo is what the instructors make just for doing ground. They make a
lot more money flying you know. It ranges between $7.50-$20/hr on top of
the $1000/mo. The compensation alone doesn’t even cover the other benefits
of teaching for ATP, which is why most people choose to work for them, not
for the money. CFIs are notorious for being poor.

Tory

Really? But I read that the instructors don’t get paid for ground School because it’s an online program so the students have to study on their own.

There is independent study, but instructors still do ground with the
students. How else does an instructor know if the student is actually
learning?

Tory

1 Like

Tinsae,

You’re right, it’s not “fair”. It’s not fair that after training ATP GUARANTEES their students CFI jobs and makes arrangements with their Regional partners for you to receive Tuition Reimbursement, pays a VERY competitive salary (plus bonuses) but also expects you to work full-time to provide the same level of training and attention that you received during your training.

I appreciate you’re only 17 but you should a) do your homework and see what CFIs are paid, b) know that you can’t be a “part time” CFI for an airline and c) work on your spelling and grammar.

Adam

3 Likes

I was thinking about working on the weekends while training at ATP. First of all, I don’t want to lose my part time job in the airline where for sure they will hire me as a pilot.

Jorge,

While no one can prohibit you from working its highly discouraged. The program is highly accelerated and requires a full time commitment. Trying to balance work and ATP and one is bound to suffer. If it’s ATP a few checkride failures can derail your career. Mess up at work and they might not want to hire you as a pilot ever.

Adam

1 Like