ATP Instructor Pay

Richard,

I can’t help but notice the similarities between us. I just re-enlisted with the Navy for 5 more years which would put in 12 years if service after I get out. I will be about 32 by then end of my enlistment. like you, I’ve been doing my research and have really found this forum very helpful! I am currently going through ER to get my Bachelors Degree online and using the TA to pay for the cost. I’m really hoping I can get my MBA before I get out to be more competitive when it comes to getting a gig in the majors. Anyway, I’ve also been trying to get as much information from the VA about flight training. It this is what i’ve got… If you are under MGIB (Montgomery GI Bill) it can pay for 60 percent of approved charges of flight training. the only prerequisite is that you have PPL before you apply. and with Post 911 covers 100 percent tuition if your flight training leads you to get a degree in the process also while collecting BAH(Basic Allowance for Housing) while you train. Anyway, Embry Riddle and Arizona State University do this. I’ve also found Coast Flight Training in San Diego! check them out. In my two cents, they are probably the one that fits more of what you’re looking for 100 percent covered by the GI Bill, 18-21 months of training, Associates in Applied Science after graduation, you can get hired as a CFI while time building, and they are partnered with Envoy air which most of their students get hired with. They are very professional and very helpful to any questions you can think of. As for myself, I am really trying to figure out which one to go to. ATP is just unbeatable when it comes to getting you on the right seat of a regional airline. I still have a few years. Anywho, good luck! and thank you Chris, Adam, and Eric for the honest and informative responses!

Bryan,

Thank you for you’re input. Unfortunately I’m not as knowledgeable regarding the VA bennies as I’d like to be, but then again I’m just a silly pilot :wink:

Adam

Hey thanks Bryan!! Great info! Unfortunately I’m looking for the bachelor
degree.

Just spoke with the banks regarding a loan. For me my loan with expenses and atp will put my payments around 950. Anyone else run into these similar numbers? How hard did you guys find it to make your loan payments, and expenses while solely instructing for ATP?

I know this thread is a year old, but I didn’t want to start a new one on the same topic. I’m 40 years old and considering a career change as well. I’m a paramedic and work 24 hour shifts on a 24hrs on 48hrs off schedule. Would it be possible to keep my job while instructing for ATP? Thanks!

Max,

Short answer, definitely not. ATPs program is highly accelerated and requires a full-time commitment to be successful.

Adam

1 Like

Max, sounds like we are in a similar boat. Depending on what you want to do, ATP does not require their students to instruct for them. There are several other flight schools that have part time instructors but working 24/48’s will limit how fast you build hours. If your wanting to make that career change quickly, you’ll most likely have to leave the job. I will have to leave regardless because there are no ATP locations where I live. It’s a tough choice especially since our jobs are most likely here to stay and have really good benefits.

Adam, Thank you for your reply. One more question. Is it possible to have a part time job (pick up one or two 12 hour shifts a week) while being enrolled full time at ATP? Thanks!

Yes the decision isn’t easy. Good luck with your training, sir!

Max, my plan as well lol. Mostly so I can keep my paramedic but also a little extra income. I think it may be doable especially if you get a job that allows you to study on your down time and sleep during night shifts. I already know what Adam will say about it, which is why I haven’t asked. It’s probably not recommended but it wasn’t when I went to paramedic school either, in fact they explicitly told us that it wouldn’t work but I had no choice as I had to eat.

1 Like

Garrett,

If you’ve been following this forum you probably do know what I’m going to say. That said this is America and you can and will do as you like and that’s fine. Just some food for thought. ATP is training you for your Private, Commercial, Instrument, Multi Engine, Flight Instructor, Instrument Instructor and ME Instructor in 9mos. Other respected institutions like Embry Riddle and Flight Safety will take up to 2yrs. That’s a lot of training in a short amount of time. Now when I was an instructor if a student showed up unprepared he got a warning, second warning he was referred to Admin and after that they were cut. While the Regionals are desperate and hiring any and all, show up at a Major with 2+ checkride busts and it might not go the way you like. Again free country and your life but to me $66K is a lot of money to gamble with not to mention the possibility of being capped at $100k while you could be making $300 is even worse. I appreciate that we all have to eat but some financial preparation prior to training might be a better plan. Your call, your money and your career.

I sincerely hope it all works out for you and I’m wrong, but if I’m not please do me one favor. Don’t be one of the whiners who bash ATP online because it won’t be ATPs fault. Deal?

Adam

I will never be one of those guys as I am a firm believer in personal accountability. My plan would be to take all writtens prior to attending ATP and I also plan to save money as well. My thing is being a paramedic can be one of the best jobs for going to school because there are night shifts that allow you to sleep and as long as you have no calls, you will get a full nights rest. I have always had a part time job and have had to go to my part time job with little to no sleep after working a 24 hour shift. Definitely dangerous for aviation though and won’t argue that. The other thing is, if we aren’t running calls, as long as everything around the station is done, the time is yours and many people study as they are going to school. I understand that it’s a huge gamble to do all this but sometimes you just have no choice unless you have a significant other or some other sort of income. My paramedic school was 15 weeks long which is crazy insane and max will attest. However, I found time to work 4 of 5 hours a night after school. Was it difficult, yes. But it was definitely doable. I would say that being a parent is a job as well, yet people go to ATP with kids at home everyday and still somehow seem to find time to be a parent. It’s all perspective and I’m still not sure if that’s really what I will do but it’s definitely a thought in my head. It would be nice if you could do ATP for a month or so without a job to really see if you could find time to have a job.

The one thing that I have heard that makes it difficult is if an instructor schedules your flight time a day in advance and at random times which is what I’ve been told happens. If that’s the case, then I would say it would be extremely difficult.

1 Like

Garrett my friend, there are a whole lot of “ifs” in there but as I said, you’re call.

Adam

Yes there are. Could you confirm or deny the random flight times and/or the short notice on scheduling? Because that is a huge deal when it comes to having a part time job.

Absolutely there are. What you have to understand is we’re talking aviation and you have a finite amount of time to get your hours and requirements. If you’re scheduled to fly in the am and the weather craps out but is forecast to improve in the afternoon you’ll be flying then. Perhaps you’re having difficulties with a certain maneuver or concept and require additional training and your checkride is in 2 days? ATP will not reschedule your ride because you have to work. Things happen often.

Adam

With 17 years of seniority I’m at what we call a vacation station right now. We average about two calls in 24 hours and 95% of the time we get full night sleep without any interruptions whatsoever. But that would change if I had to give up my spot and go prn, then I would have to pick up whatever is available.

Garrett is right, medic schools are very intense especially when time comes to do your rotations. I don’t know anyone who did it without still working as emt at least part time. But I’m not sure about flight school and that’s why I’m collecting information right now.

It seems like Adam is totally against that idea. I will take his word for it and look for other options elsewhere. Thanks for your time though!

Garrett,

As a student, your flights will typically be scheduled with no more than 24
hours notice. Most of the time they are scheduled the night before. The
time of day/night fluctuates. I too do not recommend working during flight
school. I tried, and I was only working on call as a server at a
restaurant. I needed every possible minute available to stay on top of my
studies. Plus, there was one instance when I had to cancel a lesson because
of work. I received a warning from ATP. I quit my job the next day.

Tory

2 Likes

Ok, that makes sense. I was under the impression that it was scheduled with a regular time slot (i.e… mon-fri at 9am-11am) and you would be given ample notice. That pretty much answers my questions. Looks like it will be ramen for me. Thanks

Boy that would be nice. We rarely sleep all night any more and average 13 calls a day where I am.

Garrett,

I am going to pile onto this one here. Working while attending ATP is setting yourself up for disaster. I understand that some nights you get to sleep all night, but what happens when you don’t and you have a check ride the next morning? The examiner is not going to care one bit that you were out saving lives, all that matters is your performance in the airplane and if you are fatigued that is absolutely going to suffer. Even just on a regular cross country or training flight there is always the possibility of being tired and making a simple mistake that kills you and the other pilots that are on board with you. While they do not apply to general aviation, the FAA imposes very strict rest requirements on airline pilots as flying takes a very high level of concentration and alertness and lives are at stake every minute of a flight.

As to scheduling, aviation is very dynamic and largely dependent upon the weather. Flight training in small airplanes requires relatively good weather, so plans really need to be flexible to take advantage of good weather when it presents itself. You will soon learn that what you think of as good weather now, often isn’t good weather for general aviation airplanes.

I completely understand the desire and need to work, but I am glad to see that you have come around on this, you will do much better in the program this way.

I personally like the beef ramen myself, but every once in a while a chicken one really hits the spot :slight_smile:

Chris