ATP enrollment

aloha!
my name is Aislynn. i’ll be a senior in high school this up coming school year (2019-2020) and attend Waiakea High School of Hilo, Hawaii. After high school, my plan to enroll in ATP’s Fast Track Program. My end goal however, is to become a major airline pilot. Regarding this topic, i have a few questions:
1.) is it possible for me to enroll in ATP directly out of high school or do i need some college/work experience?
2.) Does every ATP flight school location offer the same material? what i mean, is there a specific location you would recommend or location you find to have the most advanced technology to ensure i get the best out of what i pay for?
3.) is ATP accredited?

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!
-aislynn mandaloniz

Aislynn,

From Zero time you will need an Associates Degree, 60+ college credits, equivalent work experience or military experience. I will tell you right now Adam, Chris and Tory are all advocates to continue your studies and get your Bachelors degree for 3 reasons: you’re already in school mode so its easier to stay in that mode, the Majors want to see a Bachelors so you knock that out and you have to be 21 to work for an airline so why not just knock it out instead of getting the training done and sitting around.

All ATP locations are under the same standards so the training itself will be the same no matter where you go. The only differences are basically West of the Rockies you have Cessna 172s and East you have the Piper Archers, some locations may not have Seminoles but ATP will get you to a location with them or get them to you (whichever is easier at the time ie a bunch of ME students ready to go) and there are (i believe 4 locations for CFI school which ATP sends you commercially to KCRG (Jacksonville), KLZU (Atlanta), KIWA (Phoenix), KGKY (Dallas).

ATP is not accredited in the sense you might be asking. ATP is a Part 61 flight school vs somewhere like UND or Embry Riddle being Part 141 which has a syllabus approved by the FAA. Both have their pros and cons but my biggest one for a Part 61 is if I’m great on landings but horrible on manuvers my instructor can spend a little more time on the maneuvers vs being required to spend the time on landings as prescribed in the approved syllabus.

Hope this helps.

Tom answered many of your questions, but to answer another one, you will need two years of college, two years of work experience, or your private pilot license to enter ATP.

Chris

thank you for getting back to me.

Entering my senior year, are there any classes you recommend i take that will be useful as a pilot? i signed up for Intro to college math and Physics.

Aislynn,

Not really. Just study hard and do well. Flight training involves pretty basic math and some basic physics concepts but nothing particularly difficult.

Adam

No, just take the basics and you will be fine. Flying is its own separate entity, it really does not draw as much from physics or math (in the educational sense) than you might think.

Chris

By job, does that mean it could be volunteer work? or aviation related job? Please give me a discription. thank you

it means employment, not volunteer work. The job does not need to be aviation related. Of course the admissions department has final say on all such things.

The key word in the requirement is “equivalent” work experience. ATP did not create this requirement to simply check a box. The reason they have the college/work experience requirement is because before they had it they found many people who attempted the program fresh out of high school did not have the maturity or commitment to be successful. A 2yr degree demonstrates the individual’s ability to complete classes and advance through a program. The “equivalent work experience” should in some way demonstrate the same commitment and maturity.

Adam

Hey, My name is Carson and I am a junior and about to enter my senior year in high school. I dream of being a pilot of American Airlines and would like your advice for the best possible way to become one. 
    My plan as of now is to join the American Airline cadet program. So I will go to ATP flight school as an 18 year old which I believe will take about a year to finish. Then as a 19 year old, work as a flight instructor until I'm 21. Finally be a regional pilot and possibly work part time while at the same time get a online degree somewhere. (I want a degree because I believe the major airlines want you to have bachelor degree). 
    So I have a few questions about it. Does my plan sound smart or would you recommend a different way? Could I even be able to work for regional airline without degree? I think I should wait until I become regional pilot before I go to college mainly because I will have some money from work to pay for college. Would it even be possible to work as regional pilot and do online college work at the same time? Lastly, what requirements are there to be admitted into ATP flight school? Sorry for so many questions, I am just not very knowledgable with all of this...
   Thanks

Carson,

ATP requires either a 2yr degree (or equivalent work experience) or a Private Pilot license which most high school graduates don’t possess. We as always recommend people continue their educations prior to enrollment. ATP did not always have the above requirements but found that most students straight out of high school lacked the maturity and discipline to be successful in the program. By at least getting your 2yr degree it gives you some time to grow as an adult and that seems to work much better for most students.

Adam

Ok thank you.
Do you think you could get into a major airline with a two year degree? And does it matter what degree it is or does it need to be something like aeronautical engineering or aviation?

Carson,

The AA cadet program and ATP are two completely different programs. You can either attend ATP, which is where myself, Chris and Adam, and most of the students on this forum attended or apply for the AA cadet program.

If you want to join ATP, ATP’s website has everything you need to know about enrollment.

If you want to join AA’s program, you’ll need to apply through cadet program website. If accepted, training will be at one of their affiliated flight schools.

A lot of people finish their 4-year degrees while at a regional. This is your call. I recommend finishing the degree before starting flight school, but it’s up to you.

Tory

Carson,

While it’s possible, the Majors want a 4yr degree and not having one makes you considerably less competitive. The field of study is not important. We recommend you studying something you find interesting as a possible backup should aviation not work out or you simply change your mind.

Adam

https://airlinepilot.life/c/Ask-your-questions-and-get-real-answers-from-real-pilots/frequently-asked-questions

Tory

Ok, thank you so much Adam and Tory!

1 Like

Hey Carson, are you talking to about the American Airlines Cadet Academy or a Cadet program sponsored by one of American’s regional airlines? It is possible to attend ATP and enter into a “cadet program” with Envoy for example: