1st Class Medical Questions

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone has a a very happy new year. I am currently 16 years old and is serious about becoming a pilot. Although I have no qualms about my academic aspects, the class 1 medical exam has been a topic that seems to worry a lot of pilots who are both in the industry and considering to becoming one. Furthermore, the medical exam is something that cannot be controlled, of course, excluding daily exercise. As such, I was curious to when I should take a medical exam so to be sure that the path that I will be taking will not lead to a dead end? I do not have any existing medical conditions but i am aware that hidden medical problems have been prevalent. I workout on a daily basis and exercise a lot from sports. Should i take it now or right before going to University? Thank you. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Alex,

The reason the First Class Medical is because conditions pop up (generally as we age). The medical itself is very basic and straightforward and there’s nothing they’re going to discover during your exam that should surprise you. Really most of the issues come from past history where people had substance abuse problems or were treated for depression or anxiety and were prescribed meds.

If you’ve got none of that in your history I really wouldn’t worry. If you do you might want to consult with an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) sooner and see if in fact you have cause for concern.

Adam

Dear Adam,

Thank you very much for the advice; i was worried that i might of had some random medical condition but it seems that as long as it isn’t too serious, in that case which i should already know, then i should be fine. Thank you once again.

Alex,

As Adam mentioned, the first class medical is straightforward. If you don’t have any past medical conditions or substance abuse it’s a pretty quick exam. They check your height, weight, blood pressure, heart beat. You do a vision check with an eye chart for both near and far plus a color blind test. Some AMEs also do a quick hearing check (1 out of the last 4 I’ve had). That’s about it.

The first class medical is good for one year. I’d wait and get it when you’re within a few months of starting flight training.

Hannah