1st Class Medical Questions

Yarden,

Just as a late follow up as I don’t see a way to send PM’s…

Dr Raniolo is $160 w/ an EKG.

Nick

Hey Chris,

I have a specific medical questions I was hoping you might be able to answer. Two and a half years ago at the age of 27 I had a Coronary Artery Dissection of my right coronary artery. It was completely random and I have had several Nuclear Stress Tests done since that prove I am completely back to normal. Do you know who I can contact to see if I can pass a 1st class medical with an exemption? I am ready to start pilot training, but would hate to spend $80,000 only to fail a 1st class medical when the time came.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Nathan,

The good news is that would never happen with ATP since ATP will not allow you to enroll without your First Class medical. Best advice is to go online and Google an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) in your area. They are the pros and can give you the facts.

Adam

1 Like

Nathan,

The only person who can really answer your questions is an FAA Medical Examiner. You can learn more about that process here: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/get/

Chris

1 Like

I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can use a HSA (Health Savings Account) card to pay for the medical exam.

Brian,

I have no clue but call a local AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) and simply ask. If you can’t and become a professional it is tax deductible! :slight_smile:

Adam

Brian,

I have routinely used my HSA to pay for my medical exams, but your plan might be different than mine.

Chris

Was just looking through some older threads on the First Class Medicals as I go for mine next week and now I’m curious what the final disposition on Brandon’s status was. Any updates?

Brandon would have to address that, if he chooses to. We cannot release other student’s medical information.

Hi Brandon! I was curious how things turned out with your letter to the FAA? Did they respond? Do you have your first class medical under your belt yet? How long did it take? Please feel free to direct message me. I can’t just yet, I’m new to the forums.

Just wondering what all is involved in a first class medical? What they check for, what tests they do?

Here you go: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=946fd17306d68d75f266219a2010a1de&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfr67_main_02.tpl

Thank you for that link, very informative

Hello to all,

So I received my first class medical in May after waiting 5 months and going thru multiple blood work and vision test since I am diabetic. I was approved under special issuance. On the certificate it said to do bloodwork once a year and submit to AME and for vision said wear glasses at all times when flying.

Last week was my 6 months review AME since over 40. My AME did not issue a first class based on my vision which was 20/25 however the FAA approved it earlier. He asked me to take the vision test again and submit. Which I did and funny part is my optometrist said I read a bit better then I did in March for FAA submission. If my AME denies it what’s my next move? Any suggestions? My ATP first day is Sept 14th and I was studying for PPL written which kinda has come to hault not knowing the outcome now.

Nik,

First off if you submitted your new test and the optometrist says it was better I can’t imagine why your AME or the FAA wouldn’t accept it? Regardless I’d contact ATP and get it cleared with them. In reality only a Third Class is required for flight training ATP just doesn’t want people wasting their time and money only to find out they can’t get a First Class and are done. I’d you’re confident your vision is correctable to 20/20 and wish to proceed I’d continue studying and if you’re getting close but haven’t resolved the situation explain that to ATP. I believe there’s a good chance they’ll let you enroll while you continue to get your First Class.

Adam

Sounds great thank you!!

Lots of great questions/answers here, it was a great read. Thanks a bunch!

After reading through this, im much more confident in my ability to get a first-class FAA medical. It seems very similar to the DOT medical that I have for my current job.

Anyone here with a DOT medical unable to qualify for a FAA 1st-class medical? I’m not too worried about it, just doing some research.

Leon,

The medicals are actually very similar (I once tried to get the DMV to recognize my FAA medical for my CDL renewal since the FAA is actually under the DOT. Didn’t work but they rolled out the branch mgr to check). I have my CDL-A and I think you’ll find many similarities in the regs, particularly when it comes to duty and rest.

Adam

Adam,

I have a really good idea of the DOT medical qualifications, so if it’s pretty similar to an FAA medical then that puts me much more at-ease.Thanks a bunch!

Leon,
Let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck with securing that medical!

-Hannah