Real Answers from Real Pilots

With the end goal of becoming an airline pilot, which track do you think is best?

http://daytonabeach.erau.edu/Assets/daytonabeach/data/erau-flight-course-progression–3-track-with-costs–spring2016-wiht-460.pdf

Hello!

My name is Michael. I’m currently a senior in high school. I’m finishing my private pilot training within the next month and will be starting at Embry Riddle in May. As I have received Florida pre-paid, bright futures, and a merit scholarship from the university, Embry Riddle is going to be the best and most affordable option for me. However, they offer three different tracks and I’m not sure which is the best option with my end goal of becoming an airline pilot in mind: Single-Engine, Blended Track (which is a combination of Single and Multi), and a Multi-Engine track?
I have uploaded the website for the breakdown of average costs and time spent in each track. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions, please let me know!

Thanks!

Michael

Hey Michael,

That flow chart is pretty detailed!!

Honestly, either program will work for you since you will have the minimum of 25hrs multi engine required for the ATP rating. If you want to save some money by doing the single engine program, you will be fine.

Yarden

Michael,

I have to say that I find that flow chart rather confusing. I suggest that you work with your admissions counselor at ERAU as they should know best how their programs work and their requirements for hiring future CFIs.

Chris

Hi Chris
I am planning on joining atp after I get my degree which I am currently working on. My question is- do airline pilots do a lot of math? I’ve heard they do not, and if they do is it simple?. Also I’m curious if you can make over 400,000 dollars as a salary at the top now as an international pilot for a us airline. And I’m wondering if ATP gives you enough help if you struggle with math-

James,

I’ll chime in here if you don’t mind. I wouldn’t say we do ALOT of math but you do on occasion and accuracy is obviously important. ATP will help you with the formulas and how to use the flight calculators but you do need some basic math skills going in. I’ve been asked this before and one of the best (I think) and most the common (and somewhat challenging?) examples I can give is reciprocal headings. Without getting too complicated, a compass is 360 deg right? You should be able to (quickly) figure out the exact opposite (180 deg) from any given heading (aka number) given by either adding or subtracting 180 deg from the number I give you. Let’s start off easy, if I say what’s the reciprocal of 10 deg (010 heading), you simply add 180 and get 190 deg, easy. Now if I say what’s the reciprocal of 270 deg, you can’t just add 180 because that’ll give you 450 deg and that’s not possible since we only have 360 deg on our compass. So in that case you need to subtract the 180 from our 270 giving you 90 deg (or 090 heading). If that sounds like the kind of math you can handle you’ll be fine, if not you need to focus some of your studies in that area.

As for the salary $400k is on the high side, but not impossible. To get to $400k you’re talking SENIOR widebody Capt/Check pilot. $300k is much more realistic and is still a nice pay check.

Adam