Will I get hired with a special issuance?

I know this topic has been discussed on here, however most have not been specific as to their medical condition.

My special issuance was for an isolated event in my childhood that clinically stemmed from the death of my father. I was diagnosed with mild depression and childhood add. This has been 15 years ago. It has been over over 10 years since I have taken any neurological medication to treat the aforementioned issues. I have not had any issues since then I have been evaluated by a neuropsychologist that proved ( via lengthy and expensive testing-which I would be happy to answer any questions anybody has on this ) that I do not have add. I have also been evaluated by a physician that, as to the mild depression, it was directly related my father passing and thus an isolated event. There have been no issues since.

I completed all of the necessary tests and documentation the FAA required and did receive my First Class Medical via the Special Issuance route. My medical has no limitations, other than wearing glasses when exercising the privileges of the certificate. This process was around 7 months and $3,000.00.

Given that I have a special issuance, albeit for a childhood isolated event, will this affect my hiring at a major airline?

I have my PPL now and want to ensure that I will have the opportunity to be hired by a major airline before I leave a great and rewarding career.

Additionally, if anybody has any questions on the process I would be glad to answer anything and everything I can!

7 month plus 3k before PPL??

I got a 1st class medical. I did this because airlines require a First Class medical, as this is my ultimate goal.

As I viewed this as the “major” hurtle I would have to overcome; I wanted to get this out of the way before going any further with training. This way if I was unable to obtain a First Class medical, I would find out at the onset rather than waisting thousands on training and not having anything to show for it.

Bill,

I do not think that it will affect you, but I would check with the recruiting departments of a few regional airlines just to be sure.

Chris

Bill,

I am very familiar with your situation. You’ll be fine as long as you continue to disclose your medical history on your 8710 and the symptoms do not resurface.

Tory

Chris and Tory,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I reached out to a few of the regionals and they stated that it was a non issue. I also made contact via social media with a Legacy airline captain and he stated that he asked around that it was a non issue as well.

So for anybody else out there there is your answer!

Bill