Which Plan/Location is Best for Me?

Hi everyone,
I am currently graduating from college and I have done ~30hrs private pilot classes (28hrs on logbook) through the last two years. I wasn’t really paying too much time on this when I was still doing coursework at the college. Right now, I have graduated and I decide to pursue my dream of becoming a pilot.

The problem right now is : 1. Should I go for an ATP program of $80000 (start from the beginning) or $63000 (with PPL) I could probably finish up the PPL lessons in my current flight school with ~$10000. However, is it better to continue everything at ATP?

1. Which location is best for me? I currently live in North CA because of my college. But I am considering moving to the south (Texas/Georgia/Florida). One of my relatives is at Atlanta as well. But I heard it is better to learn at FL?

This is a hard one and really depends on how proficient you are with your current flying. Thirty hours over the course of two years is really not a lot, so I bet she hat it would take a significant amount of flight time to get you ready to take the FAA exam. If you do not think that you are close to being able to take the checkride, then I would probably recommend starting from scratch.

As for location, I would pick the one that is most convenient for you and not think any more about it. All of the locations are highly standardized, the experience should be the same across the board.

Chris

1 Like

LZU in Lawrenceville, Georgia is very good. That’s where I’m training out of. It’s just outside of Atlanta. However there are three different ATP locations in Atlanta. If you have specific questions about LZU I can pass along my contact info. I’m a little familiar with the PDK location, but have no idea about the Falcon Field location

1 Like

Yuchen,

If you could complete your PPL in a short period of time that obviously is great BUT keep in mind ATP requires approx. 80hrs of flight time to start with credit for your PPL. Personally I wish I did all my training with ATP. It would have been infinitely easier and would have provided a more consistent training experience. Ultimately it would’ve saved me time and money as well. But your call.

As for location Atlanta is a stone’s throw from FL and I’m not sure why you think FL would be better anyway? Choose a location that works for you. If you’ve got a relative you can stay with, who will also provide you with space to study without distraction, that could save you some money. However I found living in the ATP housing and participating in frequent study groups very beneficial. Again your call.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much Chris&Adam.
I really appreciate your advice and I will talk to my family first. Hopefully, I will join the ATP family in the near future!

BTW, English is not my native language, I have lived here for several years and can communicate fluently in most circumstances. However, I still fell nervous when listening and talking in the radio on the plane. Have you guys ever taught any immigrants with English as a second language? How were they doing in the program?

Thank you Zachary! Lucky for me to find someone training in Atlanta! Can I have your contact info please? (Phone/Facebook/Ins etc.)

Yuchen,

Obviously communications can be challenging if English isn’t your first language. That said even many native speakers struggle as well. You have to understand when you’re new it’s not only the words they’re saying, it’s the fact you really don’t know what they’re talking about. Like most things with time and practice you’ll improve and gain comfort and confidence.

Adam

Yuchen,

If you speak anywhere near as well as you write, you will not have any language issues in the program. Our English appears to be just fine, I would not worry about it.

Chris

Yuchen,

It looks like your English language skills are very strong and you should be fine. I think you are setting yourself up for success with the ATP program.

If you are in Atlanta you may find it useful to visit Falcon Aviation Academy at FFC South of the city where they conduct a large amount of training for Chinese nationals on behalf of Chinese airline companies. There will be students there in all phases of training up to CAX who might be able to talk to you about their experiences and any barriers they have overcome.

I would personally recommend training with ATP though.

Simon

My phone number is (850) 910-0078, email is zporter92@yahoo.com