When to get the process started? / ATP Tulsa Location

Hey guys,

First off, thank you for providing such an amazing site of information and guidance for me to chase my childhood dream. I am currently stationed in England with the U.S. Air Force and will have the ability to finally separate possibly in July of 2018, if not then, then officially in January 2019. I will be applying for a program that could get me out earlier, so I’ll be starting that process this year. My wife and I will be settling back in Tulsa, Oklahoma, thank goodness there is an ATP location there. That being said, I do have a few questions:

1. Lets say I do separate in July 2018, I will want to start training within a short amount of time, given a few weeks to transition from Active Duty life overseas to living back in the states. What kind of time frame am I looking at for applying (Loan Application, Medical Exam etc etc)? Should I be applying a few weeks, few months, a year before my desired start date?

2. Tulsa, Oklahoma will be where we settle. For numerous reasons, family, affordability, and a Air National Guard Unit, the ATP Tulsa Location is where I’ll be doing my training. Does anyone here on the forums have any experience with the Tulsa location? Just looking for some insight. We’ll be headed to Tulsa this upcoming year for sometime so I plan on getting an intro flight in while were there.

I appreciate all the information guys. Thanks again!

I’m interested in this as well. I currently live in Kansas and the Tulsa location is closest for me.

Robert,

To begin with, thank you for your service to our country and for your kind words about this website. Let’s get to your questions,

1. I would apply for the program about three to four months out from when you want to start. That should give you plenty of time to get through the financing application, get your medical and go through the schools’s application process.

2. I have not been to the Tulsa location myself, but I have been to several different locations and I can tell you that they are all very standard. ATP strives to make the experience a positive one for all students, regardless of the location they attend. That being said, the best way to find out is to go to the location and do that intro flight that you spoke of. While you are there make sure to talk to current students and as many of the instructors as possible, you will be able to get a good feel for the location then.

Of course feel free to ask us any questions that you think of, we are always happy to help.

Chris

Awesome, thanks Chris!

Anytime, always happy to help.

Chris