When is a good time to start

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation for a good time to start preparing for your start date. I’m currently a senior in college and 5 months away from graduation. I’m planning on starting ATP within weeks of graduation (with 0 hours) and I was wondering if now (5-6 months ahead) was too early to start the FAA tests which you can take before your start date. If so when would be a good time to start taking them? This is definitely one thing that I plan to get out of the way considering the amount of people who recommended it.

Thanks!

1 Like

Justin,

You’ll get different answers. It depends on how much effort you put into it. If you studied every day I would give yourself no less than one month. Add more time to that based on your study habits.

Tory

Justin,

I’m with Tory, totally depends on you. I’m a crammer, I procrastinate then go nuts with minutes to spare. Some people like slow and steady and the more time the better. The only caveat I have starting early is just be sure that you will be starting in 5-6mos. The exams expire after 24mos and if for some reason you’re training gets put off, it be a shame to have to take them again.

Adam

Justin,

If you are intent on starting your training this summer, I would apply, lock in your start date and financing now, then immediately start prepping for the written exams. There is no rime like the present, just make sure that your college studies do not suffer as a result of your pilot studies, your college GPA will matter someday.

Chris

At what point does it matter? Do the regionals or majors check your transcript? O thought it was simply a box to check. I’ve got a 3.8 (so far) but was just curious

Cameron,

Some Majors will take a look. You don’t need a 4.0 but they don’t want to see a 2.0 either.

Adam

Cameron,

When I was hired at Continental, they required a 3.0 as a minimum.

Chris