When am I too old to start flying

I’ll be 36 in 3 months. Ive been accepted into a flight school at a university. A 2 year program but this will leave me still needing a few semesters short of a bachelor’s degree. I need work asap as you can imagine. What options do you think I’ll have or AM I TOO OLD to even try

James,

From everything I have read on here from the mentors and others, you are definitely not too old! I’ll be 36 in a couple weeks and I plan on finishing my training this fall/winter :slight_smile: Have you flown before?

I am 43 And starting later this year.

2 Likes

I was a crew chief in the Air Force but Ive never piloted

1 Like

James,

Take a look at the FAQs as Chris and Adam have gone into detail on many questions.

Here’s Chris’ on age:
https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/2

1 Like

James,

You’re far from too old but you’re not young either. My question is why would you spend two years at a university when you literally could be flying for a Regional in that amount of time? At ATP you could earn ALL your licenses and ratings in just 9mos, build the required time and be flying for an airline in the same 2 years.

Again you’re not old but time is definitely a factor.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

It seems like he wants to get bachelor degree before he joins regional.

David,

And why would he want to do that? The regionals don’t require any degree. If he were 18 then sure get your degree first but at 36 he only has 29 yrs left to fly. 4yrs for a degree plus another year + to build time and now he’s down to 25 or 24. That’s money at the top end of the spectrum he’ll never see and the longer he waits, the less the odds he’ll make it to a Major where a degree counts. Better to get flying fast as possible and then earn the degree at the Regionals. With credit for his licenses and ratings he could get an online aviation degree at min cost and time. At 36 there is zero reason to get a degree first if you want to fly.

Adam

My thought process mostly is a financial one. I am using my GI bill to pay for school. I am wanting one day to get my bachelor’s degree however my home is to finish the school with little debt and find work as a pilot in some facet and work on my bachelor’s degree then. I really appreciate your feedback im glad ive found this forum

Its a 2 year associate degree in aviation flight tech with a private pilot cert. Instrument rating, commercial pilot cert. and CFI

James,

I understand what you’re saying but all that extra time can make a huge difference at your age (and your question was regarding age). You asked if you’re even too old to fly which means you have some understanding of your situation but apparently it’s not your primary concern? While I appreciate the desire to minimize debt, you’re doing it by giving away hundreds of thousands of dollars of potential earnings. Your call.

Adam

Im not sure i have the means to go about it any other way. Just trying to follow a dream. I would love to be im the air as fast as possible but it just doesnt seem feasible at least with the understanding i have, i may be wrong. I just want to know that their is a future for me. Like i said this has always been a dream and a regret that i didn’t pursue earlier in life.

James,

You are definitely not too old, but I wouldn’t waste any time either. Check out the FAQ section as your question is addressed in-depth there.

Chris