What's the average ratio between military & civilian pilots?

I found this from September 2015. Selection rate seems to be around 70% from a few different articles I found. I will see if I can find any more recent numbers when I’m at work this week.

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) – A total of 189 men and women from across America were selected for an officer’s commission, officials announced Sept. 28.

Air Force Recruiting Service officials considered 272 applications as part of the Officer Training School rated selection board 15OT03. With the board’s selection rate of 69.49 percent, 189 applicants were selected to serve as Air Force officers. Forty-five of the 189 selectees were enlisted members and they’ve earned the chance to attend OTS and trade their stripes for gold bars as second lieutenants.

Thank you I really do appreciate this Ryan,

I think it helps quite a lot to look at the numbers sometimes before making an important decision like the Airlines or the Military to see what one’s chances are in such a competitive field of work or duty.

I watched a brief Youtube video of an ex-fighter pilot explain the basic steps. He mentioned how he was able to negotiate a ‘flying contract’ with his recruiter that protected him from having to serve in case he didn’t get selected for flight training; it was more important for him in becoming a pilot than just being in the service.

It sounds selfish, but i’ll admit that I feel the same way when considering something like the military: i’d rather do something in it that i’ll potentially enjoy doing over being assigned to something i’d be miserable in. It’s my understanding that you have very little to no power over what you get to do.

Are these sorts of contracts are still possible to make with the Air Force before officially going to OTS?

Thomas,

I’m unsure to be honest. I went through ROTC on a scholarship and started my career as a Communications-Computer officer. I was picked up for pilot training after I was already on active duty.

That being said, as I understand when you apply for OTS you are applying for a rated or pilot slot. You would “sign a contract” conditional on successfully completing OTS and pilot training. Probably the best step is to contact an OTS recruiter. A search for Air Force OTS recruiter should get you in the right direction.

I agree you should do something that you enjoy. The Air Force doesn’t really benefit from forcing you to a job you don’t want to do either.

Another option is to look into Air National Guard units that are offering UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training) slots. The benefit is you will be flying whatever aircraft the Guard unit is flying, assuming again that you successfully complete all required training.

As Adam, Chris, and Yarden have said on this forum before, it is impossible to make any 100% absolute guarantees with anything. Learn as much as you can about OTS and Air National Guard pilot opportunities. You are not committed to anything until you start signing paperwork and taking an “oath”. Just remember to know what you are getting into and read the fine print. After all, you are dealing with the government. Not trying to discourage you, just be prepared.