What was it like?

So pilots I was wondering how the first time you showed up at your regional airline? Like what was going through your mind when you arrived for the first time, and how was the transition from a flight instructor (or however you built your hours) to to full time pilot?
Thanks
Gabriel

Gabriel,

I was excited, overwhelmed, ready to learn, and also lost at times, but I think that was mainly due to the fact that I thought EVERYTHING deserved the same level of importance when in reality there is a hierarchy. But how was I supposed to know that coming from ATP world? It would have been nice to have a mentor to talk to, but that hadn’t been established yet. Plus, Horizon was figuring out how to train us on the 175 as we were learning it. I often wonder what it would be like now if I were to go through it again for the first time.

Ground school was quick and jam packed with information, but that was expected. My favorite part about ground was the FMS Lab. I had never used one before and was curious as to how it worked. Turns out it’s a lot easier than it looks.

Once we got to VPT (Virtual Procedures Trainer) and Sim, the intensity kicked up a notch. I remember it being very hard and thinking that I might need extra training, but those thoughts subsided the day before each gate event. Thankfully everything started to click right when they needed to.

Then IOE began and that was an experience I will never forget. There was still so much more to learn on the line because there either wasn’t enough time during ground or sim or it wasn’t practical to simulate it.

The main takeaway from my new hire training is show up with a positive attitude, always be willing to learn, be humble, and trust the process. From what I’ve seen, the pilots that don’t make it through training, or make it harder than it needs to be are the pilots that struggle with the things I just mentioned. Maybe they have a positive attitude, but their stubborn or argumentative. Or maybe they’re willing to learn, but they fixate on the minor details and they can’t get passed the things they don’t understand and it leads to resignation. I’ve seen very few pilots fail because of their flying abilities. More often than not, it’s something internal like attitude, cognition, critical thinking, problem solving, etc.

Tory

2 Likes

Gabriel,

I remember my first flight at ExpressJet vividly. To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. I mean this is the realization of a lifelong dream. The culmination of years of hard work. I’m sitting in the cockpit of a jet with a Continental tail at Newark Liberty International airport! Seriously someone pinch me kind of moment! Fortunately my check airman was incredible and fully understood the gravity of the event. He said “listen, you just finished training, this is your first flight in the jet so I’m going to assume you remember nothing for the first couple of legs. Sit back, relax, take it all in, and if you feel like jumping in go for it but I’m going to consider this a single pilot operation”. I laughed and that of course helped put me at ease but I was also thinking I did pretty well in training, I got this. Next thing I knew the plane was touching down in RDU while I was still in EWR! Good times :slight_smile:

Adam

4 Likes

Gabriel,

I was of course very nervous when I began training at ExpressJet. My new hire class had several pilots that had come from another airline that had gone defunct (Independence Air). These guys and gals were all incredibly knowledgeable about flying jets, I was not. I ended dup becoming good friends with one of them and he was a significant help along the way in my training.

Something that I think is a very positive change is the ATP-CTP course. This was not required when we went to the airlines, it is now. This course is designed to give pilots a solid introduction to flying jets, advanced systems and high speed aerodynamics. ATP now includes this course for all of their newly enrolling students.

Chris

2 Likes

Thanks guys, sounds awesome! Quick question how is training for your airline different from being at ATP?

Gabriel,

To me it was similar in many ways (and that’s kind of the point of ATP). A fair amount of pressure to meet deadlines and a considerable amount of self-study, but definitely ramped up. More formal class sessions but very finite gates. The first day you show up as a newhire you’re given a schedule and all your validations and checks are on there and they’re pretty set. I think the biggest difference for me was the self inflicted pressure. I’d worked very hard to achieve this goal of getting hired by an airline but it was in training I realized that really doesn’t matter. It’s not getting hired, it’s getting through training. Otherwise you’re just some guy who seemed pleasant enough to get a shot but ultimately couldn’t cut it. The training is tough and you were hired as a pilot. That means the airline assumes all your basic skills and understanding are rock solid. They only teach procedures and how to fly their airplane. Everything else is a given. Fortunately I was up for the task but it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done and there were others who were unsuccessful. You def have to bring your A game because anything less will send you home.

Adam

1 Like

Gabriel,

I would say that there is not much of a difference between training at ATP and airline training. Both are environments where you expected to study on your own and come prepared with questions, not just a simple “tell me everything” approach. Both had competent, quality instructors and both prepared me for the applicable check rides.

The biggest difference to me was that many of the regional airlines train 24/7. My sim time at ExpressJet was scheduled from 10pm-6am every night. This was a two hour brief, four hours in the sim and a two hour debrief. It was not easy keeping those hours consistently and getting any kind of real sleep. Most of the majors have far more civilized training times.

Chris

1 Like

Ok thanks guys, sorry for not responding been a long week :sleeping:

This is kind of off topic but too small a question to start a new topic: how does being at an ATP class compare to a college class in its class time and study time/difficulty. Any Input is much appreciated.

thanks
Gabriel

Gabriel,

College classes can be rather large, especially some of the more basic classes. Also, they have defined hours each week and last for an entire semester. ATP’s classes are usually on the smaller side and last a few weeks on each topic.

As for the difficulty, that depends on where your strong points are. For me, flight classes were much easier than finance classes, but more difficult than say US history or philosophy classes. Your mileage may vary. I found that the study time required for aviation was pretty intense, much more so than college classes, but I also enjoyed it more.

Chris

In addition to what Chris said, certain locations have like set few ground lessons each week or did pre covid which is somewhat similar to college but what I found most helpful and unlike college, is that, pre covid, is I’d go up to a ATP, regardless of their being a scheduled ground and either form study groups with students around the same phase, or help/teach students in an earlier phase of training to help solidify the knowledge.

Gabriel,

It felt like studying for finals for 6 months. The program relies heavily on self study. In order to meet the deadlines, I remember many days and nights of relentless studying.

Tory

3 Likes

Thanks guys just wanted to kind of have a comparison.
Gabriel

Gabriel,

Anytime :slight_smile:

Chris