What To Expect

First, I would like to give my condolences to the families of the victims of the Fort Lauderdale airport incident today. Secondly, I would like to ask what can the airline industry expect from this? Can we expect airlines to pull some aircraft deliveries due to a possibility of loss of customers. Can we expect pilot pay to plateau in the meantime? And thoughts would be appreciated.

Wyatt,

While very sad and tragic, today’s events will have little impact on the industry aside from very localized delays, diversions and maybe a few cancellations.

I’m at the airport getting ready to depart, if I hadn’t watched the news this am I’d be unaware that anything had even happened.

Adam

Adam,
Thank you. I was wondering how big of an impact this would have on the airline industry. Be safe my friend.
Thanks,
Wyatt Parks

Wyatt,

I agree with Adam on this, this will have zero affect on the airline industry or its pilots. Things like this happen from time to time, but they happen in other settings too. Sadly this kind of violence just seems to happen, but fortunately it does not seem to affect people’s desire to travel by air.

Chris

Chris,

When tragic events like this happen and pilots are not flying their scheduled flights, do pilots still receive cancellation pay?

Dan,

Yes, there are of course variations from one pilot contract to the next, but generally speaking we are always paid for cancelled flights as it is not our responsibility that the flight cancelled.

Chris

Chris which location did you instruct at? I will provide my reaction to Richmond next weekend when I visit. Still hoping for a March or April start date.

Dan,

I instructed at the former Washington DC and Norfolk locations, which have since been consolidated into the Richmond location, which I also briefly instructed at. I kept jumping locations until I got to the one closest to my home of Virginia Beach.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Richmond, I personally think it is a very nice location that is at a big airport, but has plenty of empty skies around it for practicing.

Chris

I will let you and Adam know how it goes.

Chris,
Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Wyatt Parks