What shoes do you wear?

Just a quick question, what kind of shoes do you 1. Wear while flying for your airline and 2. What would you recommend for training? ATP website says dress boots/ shoes or sneakers both are acceptable. I was thinking driving shoes would probably work best, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be great

Mark,

Totally personal preference. I’m lazy and hate tying shoes so while I was training/instructing I always wore Merrell Chameleons. The airlines require either a dress shoe or boot. I fly in Hawaii so boots are out. I have nice comfy Rockport slip-ons for work which is the ONLY time I wear shoes now :slight_smile:

Adam

Awesome thank you!

Mark,

I wear black leather Rockports that would be considered dress shoes. I do not think that sneakers have any place really in society at all, but especially not in the cockpit (even during flight training).

Chris

I agree about the sneakers, and I was going to try to get something that was a little more dressy since that’s what I’ll eventually have to wear anyways. Thank you guys both for your responses!

Mark,

I’m a Rockport fan myself. They are lightweight and comfortable. For flight training I usually wore Nikes.

Tory

Chris also has strong feelings about socks! Go ahead, ask him :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

If I had to chose between being sentenced to a year of hard labor, or a year of having to wear socks everyday, I would have to give it some serious thought.

4 Likes

Lol how do you combat the odor? My feet get sweaty. I can only imagine how bad it would be in leather shoes.

I don’t sweat.

Interesting subject. Currently I have to wear a flight suit, so I wear some Justin flat bottom cowboy boots while flying. I really enjoy the ease of throwing them on right before the flight. When I flew cargo it was boots with better ankle support for unloading cargo and slick ramps in the winter. Any of you see pilots wearing nice cowboy boots at the airlines?

Edward,

Yup there’s still a fair amount of wannabe cowboys flying around in their boots. Always makes me smile. Particularly when it’s 90 deg and they tell how comfy they are.

To each their own :slight_smile:

Adam

Boots are generally allowed, but they must fit underneath the pant legs.

There’s a few out there that I’ve seen.

Tory

I don’t suppose you guys would have any input on women’s shoes?? :thinking::joy:
Side note: I will say compression socks do wonders

1 Like

Kimberly,

I have many women pilot friends and they ALL seem to wear these Aerosole low zip boots with a heal? I know because I always ask how do you fly with a heal? and I just text one friend and asked :slight_smile:

Adam

2 Likes