What I’ve gone through

Thanks! I’m just glad it’s mostly behind me!

Nothing like an “almost done with” process and then I get thrown another curveball. So the one thing I didn’t mention for this whole thing is that in addition to the cog screen you have to do a urine test within 24 hours. No big deal right. As part of this whole process you also get elected for a random amount of a number of random drug screens throughout the year. I believe that I was selected for 14 over a 12 month period. At this point I have done 8-9 and they aren’t cheap to do. Well few weeks ago I got told I was schedule to have a screening like every time in the past. Anyway, this morning I was told that for whatever reason, they weren’t able to get the results from that test or that they were inconclusive. Keep in mind the cog screen I had to do was for my adhd diagnosis but the drug screen was for pretty much every drug as well as ethanol(alcohol). Not sure why they test ethanol since I’ve never been told during this process I couldn’t have a drink or two with dinner. Anyway due to the inconclusive results on the alcohol test they run, I now have to do several blood tests over the next year to make sure that I am not a binge drinker! Like what! I’m getting hit by problem after problem with the FAA and my docs trying to find something to disqualify me for!

Just seems odd that they would care about my drinking habits because never have I had an alcohol dependency issue and that’s what I’ve always said when filling out my medxoress form! I’m not worried, mostly annoyed because the reason they are making me do blood work now is because typically when this happens, the applicant brought in urine or tampered with it in someway or another…

Josh, I thought you said you had received your special issuance already?

I have and this is something sorta unrelated. Pretty sure this is just the FAAs way of making sure I’m still not using adhd meds or any drugs so I still have to get these random tests because if something is out of the ordinary my AME has to report it

So another little update, I emailed the FAA asking why I was required to do the drug tests and they were unsure because that wasn’t something they had in my file! Well low and behold this got people at the FAA talking and per the recommendation from the FAA and now the regional flight surgeons they dropped all limitations on my special issuance and sent me an unrestricted first class medical!

4 Likes

Joshua,

That is really good news. Shows that it pays to follow up and ask questions.

Chris

Yes it does indeed! Means I also don’t have to go to the psychologist yearly too!!!