US based career, comm pilot with low hours

Hello

I guess this gets asked pretty much everytime but I guess my personal case is a bit different from what I have found on the forums.

I have seen many people in their low/mid 40s ask if they are too old to start a flying career from zero hours and expect a job on the major airlines when they are done. It would be difficult but definitely doable for most folks as I see in most answers. This, of course, is very reassuring.

Im 36, almost 37, I already got part of the pathway ready. I have my FAA multi engine commercial license, up to date medical and I fly for fun when I go to the USA for vacations. I also have a CE500 (citation jet) SIC rating which I got like a month ago in FL. The downfall on this is that I only have 300 logged hours. Im building time with the jet, not as fast as I would like, but it is still a jet, and it is still hours logged.

If I keep going this way, I will have 1500 by the time im 40 give or so, based on my calculations.

Problem is, im not a US citizen and I dont have a working visa. Im from a south american country. I have seen that the regionals are looking for pilots and the job prospects look better than ever. Are those regionals in the position of sponsoring paperwork for a foreign pilot? What do you guys think are the prospects of me looking into a US based career when I get my 1500 at around 40 years of age?

Any other advice is welcome

best regards

Jose,

To work for an airline in the US, you will either need to be a US citizen or US permanent legal resident. The airlines will not be able to sponsor you for a visa.

Chris

Jose, you must speak to an immigration attorney. The previous answer is too facile. I am an attorney who does occasional asylum work, and I don’t know the answer to your question. Employers sponsor employees all the time; my law firm must take in 20 such requests each day (unfortunately, we do that for fortune 100 corporations, not individuals, so I cannot personally help you).

The only visa paperwork that the regional airlines have the ability to sponsor right now is an E3 (Australian visa). And this is not ALL regionals - only a few.

1 Like