UH60M Pilot Transitioning

I’m Currently at Ft Rucker Alabama, finishing up my UH60 Qual Course. When i finish here i’ll have about 190 Hours , With a Commercial Rotor + Inst Rating. The goal is to get to the Airlines as quickly as possible as civilian side I am a Flight Attendant for United and I know deep down how important seniority is. I’m very interested in doing the “Zero to Heo” program just to pump my way through it but i had a few Qs about it.
Will my Instrument rating mean that I get to skip the whole instrument portion of training ?
Since i qualify for an R-ATP at 750 will that mean the regional’s are gonna want to scoop me right up?

Shaquile,

If you qualify under FAR 61.160(a)(1)(2), then yes. You will be able to be hired at 750.

Even with your commercial rotor + instrument, you will have to complete the full program minus the instrument check ride. In other words, you will still have to complete the instrument portion, but you won’t have to take the instrument check ride again. Still counts towards total time, which you’ll need anyway. Just means not having to be a CFI for as long because you’ll hit 750 shortly after completion of the program.

Tory

2 Likes

I taught a student that started with a similar background as you. He completed the program faster than anyone I had ever seen.

Tory

2 Likes

Shaquile,

I do believe you would also have to take the practical exam for Instrument Rating Airplane. FAR 61.65 states: (8) Pass the required practical test on the areas of operation in paragraph © of this section in -
(i) An airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift appropriate to the rating sought. While you have a rotary wing IR you’d be seeking an AIRPLANE IR. You would not have to retake the Knowledge exam.

Adam

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll try to make my IPs life as easy as possible haha

I’ll Gladly take a practical exam over a Check Ride or an Oral lol. Thanks!

Shaquile,

A practical exam IS a checkride with an oral.

Adam

Oh okay, I’ll come back to this sub in a few months once i do start to let ya’ll know what ended up happening.

Shaquile,

You will not get to skip the instrument phase as you will still need to take a checkride to have instrument privileges in single and multi engine airplanes.

If you qualify for an R-ATP at 750 hours, then yes, the regionals will likely want to hire you as soon as you are eligible, but there are no guarantees. You will of course need to meet their minimums for fixed wing time.

You will need to give up the FA job at some point soon.

Chris

1 Like

I disagree with Tory on this. You will still need to do a check ride to have instrument privileges in an airplane.

2 Likes

A “practical exam” is a checkride and oral.

1 Like

Doh! Getting rusty already. Sorry, Shaquile. Chris and Adam are right. You need to be checked on these areas.

The areas of operation listed above correspond to the Instrument ACS found here: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/instrument_rating_acs.pdf.

So, not required to complete as many areas of operation, but an instrument check ride must be done, nonetheless. No sweat.

Tory

1 Like

Ahhh roger, well good to know gentlemen I appreciate it!

After leaving Ft Rucker I have to do 2 months of Proggression flights with the NJARNG before I can start at ATP. Is there any Reading Ya’ll recommend other than the FAR/AIM that I can start digging through in the mean time?

https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

I would take the FOI, FIA and FII.

Tory

Tory, questions related to the knowledge tests & the foreflight subscription reimbursement… I am looking at a start date in June for the Denver location. I am not registered yet as I am currently finishing up my PPL & should have my checkride scheduled very soon. Do I need to wait until I’m officially registered with my start date to start prepping & taking these knowledge exams?
Also, should I wait to start my foreflight subscription? Will it make a difference financially if I subscribe now or wait until I’m registered with ATP? It looks like I’ll get a discount for foreflight through ATP but I need an approved email address, which I’m guessing I’ll get upon my ATP registration? Just curious how the reimbursement works if/when I complete the necessary exams prior my start date?

Hi Kimberly,

You can prep at any time. You can also take the test prior to enrollment, but you’ll have to pay for each test out of pocket. If you wait to take the tests after enrollment, the tests will be deducted from your tuition.

Let me check on how the ForeFlight reimbursement works. I’ll get back to you.

Tory

1 Like

Kimberly,

As you cannot register until you have your PPL, then you really should focus solely on obtaining your PPL. There will be time to worry about other things later. Once you have your PPL, you can register with ATP and get full access to all of the training material.

Chris

1 Like

I am a former H-60 Sp. I did the rotor transition and am now more than a year in with SkyWest Airlines.
Heres the deal: You need to get a private fixed wing ASAP. Build time and get a fixed wing ADD-ON for your instrument (usually only about 10 hrs of flight to prepare). Then get a Multi-engine commercial ADD-ON. A single engine commercial is NOT required. Fly 225 hrs of fixed wing PIC to qualify for the RATP, including 25 Multi-engine (the last 25 is done in the regional’s Sim). The multi-engine time is all counted as PIC when you are with an instructor, so don’t worry about that. As of now, most regionals want to see 1000 total hrs, but a few will do it at 750. When you time build, do it with a buddy to share costs. You both can log PIC if you are practicing IFR flying under a hood/foggles and the other is a safety pilot.
Give me a shout if you have more questions or if I can steer you towards one airline vs another.

1 Like

If my memory serves me well, all registered ATP students receive a discount on their annual ForeFlight subscription. In order to receive the discount you’ll need to pay your nonrefundable deposit. By that point, ATP will have your contact info, including email. That email address will unlock the discount. So, I’d wait.

I also want to make you aware of another option. If you pass your PAR, IRA and CAX before enrolling you will receive an annual subscription to ForeFlight Basic. To read more on how, follow this link: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html. To receive your reimbursement for your annual subscription, submit an expense reimbursement form.

Tory

1 Like

Thank you Joseph!

Adam

Thank you for the confirmation, Tory. I did find & read that info on the website as well. My PPL checkride is now scheduled so I will focus on passing that before I get too far ahead of myself with the other writtens. I’ll dive into them as soon as I’m registered & will plan to finish those before starting at the Denver location.

1 Like