Trenton vs Salt Lake

Hello!

I am scheduled to start the Airline Career Pilot Program (from zero time) at Trenton in August. I have the opportunity to move to Salt Lake City and do the training there. This is definitely what I would prefer. My father, who is a former commercial pilot, cautioned me against the move because he feels that the terrain and elevation are added factors that would make my training unnecessarily difficult. I’m grateful for any insight you folks can give me. I’m trying to figure out what percentage of his advice is fatherly concern and what percent is expert opinion.

Thanks!
Kristen

Kristen,

If terrain and elevation were an issue, ATP would not have a training center in Salt Lake. I vote with you, go to SLC.

Chris

Thank you Chris!

Kristen,

I’m going to give a vote for TTN. I was an instructor there. Great airport, LOTS of airspace (it’s right on the edge of both EWR’s and PHL’s Class Bs), lot’s of little airports every few miles to practice every conceivable approach, howling crosswinds for honing your skills and REALLY good pizza right around the corner!

Seriously as Chris said SLC is fine and every airport has it’s challenges, pros and cons. Go wherever you think you’d enjoy more. But the pizza really is better in Jersey :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Well, SLC will have more of a Chicago influence than TTN will, so the pizza will clearly be better in SLC.

Did they stop drug testing at United?

5 Likes

Kristen,

Whichever location is more convenient is the one I would choose.

Tory

Thanks, all! I hadn’t even thought to put PIZZA on my list of considerations! :slight_smile:

Oh god Adam. You crack me up

I’m starting at the Salt Lake (OGD) location in August. I learned to fly in the flat lands…when I moved to Utah, I was timid about mountain flying. In the end, Ive learned a tremendous amount about weather, Density Altitude, aircraft performance, and the need to really perfect flight planning and risk management. These aren’t skills just required of small aircraft…these are skills that transcend the 172 and the Seminole. I regularly mountain fly in Idaho, Wyoming and Utah and it’s not a big deal as long as you respect your skills and get some additional training.

Every location has unique opportunities…pros and cons. For example, Utah is blessed with Arizona like weather. While this is good for training, don’t count on a ton of actual instrument time here like you would encounter in other areas of the country.

I vote for SLC but I’m obviously biased. Oh, SkyWest is also headquartered here so you will have plenty of exposure to their recruitment team. You are also 25 minutes from skiing in the winter…which is pretty awesome.

Cheers, Trey

View over OGD Airport

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, up in SLC/Ogden, you will see some “good” inversion conditions during the winter months.

Lived here for 8 years…inversions happen and it’s miserable when the do, but it only occurs a few times each winter.

Yeah, that’s about how I remember it, though in my memory it is somewhat omnipresent with winter. I was raised down in Orem, lives there from age 5 to 33.

Hi Trey-

I’m considering a cross-country move to Ogden from Maine to start flying with ATP. Since I’ll be moving with family, can you recommend specific neighborhoods that have close access to hiking trails and are dog-friendly-ish? It’s been awhile since I lived in Utah, but about fifteen years ago I called Vernal home :wink:

I’m targeting an October start date; hope to see you there! Have my class one medical in hand, now just need to get my house sold!

Thanks,
-Tom

Tom,

It will depend on what your budget is but I always thought North Ogden, East Layton, and Farmington were very nice. Housing in Utah is pretty expensive right now due to high demand for limited properties and these neighborhoods are really no exception. If you are looking at a long-term home that will last you beyond your time at ATP and is closer to SLC, then West Jordan, Cottonwood heights, parts of Murray, and Bountiful are all great options. All of these areas are mid-range options…housing gets more expensive as you look further south towards Sandy, Draper, Lehi, and Harriman.

More affordable options are available in Ogden, Centerville, and West Valley. Ogden and West Valley have a bad reputation due to increased rates of crime but nice areas can be had for less money. I live in West Valley and I’m happy with our home and neighborhood. I’m not sure, however, that I would send my kids to school here. Gang related violent crime is common in West Valley and Ogden among adolescents and it starts in the high schools.

If you are okay with a small commute and want to get out of the city, Tooele and Stansbury Park are very nice and still have a smaller town feel.

Before you make plans to move to Utah, make sure you ask more questions about CFI availability at OGD. OGD is slow compared to Mesa, Arlington, and the Atlanta locations; consequently you may have a difficult time being assigned OGD and if you are, you may not be instructing as much as you hope. By the time you finish the program as a student, however, things may change at OGD and it may be very busy…who knows.

One other thing to consider if you are looking at SLC as your forever home: KSLC is a hub for Delta and SkyWest. At both of these Airlines, SLC is extremely senior so you should plan on commuting for a year or two as an FO at Skywest and significantly longer as a CA at SkyWest (the most junior SLC CA at SkyWest was hired in 2007). Commuting out of SLC is pretty easy, however, which opens up your options for regionals.

Good luck in your search,

Trey

1 Like