I’m a Usaf pilot separating in the next 6 months, 33, married with two kids and my spouse is also a Usaf pilot about to head off to staff. I have signed up for a ctp/atp course next year and I’m wondering if anyone thinks I should hold off on that if my wife gets an overseas assignment. I’m aware that going overseas for a few years hurts me in terms of recency, and may require regional time before a major will look at me. I’ve looked at the aero clubs at overseas locations to minimize the damage. However, I think my resume is probably not as competitive for the majors right now anyway and I’m interested in your thoughts on if I should just wait, save the money for a few years and hope a regional will cover my CTP/ATP costs. Basically I’m assuming that if my record is only competitive for regionals anyway, does it help me enough now to dish out the money or not?
Rough look at me:
2000TT (including pilot training) C130 time
500-800 PIC (depending on what method you use for flying with other ACs)
Not an instructor
If she doesn’t get overseas my plan is to take the course and apply away!
Great work on the forum so far I enjoy reading!