Training Location

Just a quick question, have any of you known of a situation where a student began training in one location, and then moved to another? Is this even a possibility or are you committed to stay put once training has begun, thanks.
Kris

Hey Kris,

It is completely fine to move to a different training center and I have seen multiple students do it. Although it’s definitely not recommended to hop around just for fun, you are in no way committed to staying at any one location. The important thing is to not make the move during the training for a certain certificate. Make sure you finish a rating and pass a checkride before you leave, otherwise you will risk paying for extra training because your new instructor will need to fly with you.

Yarden

Kris,

For the program to work you’re really looking for consistency. Keep in mind you will be sent elsewhere for your CFI training at some point. I guess my concern is if you can’t commit to being at a single location for 6 mos perhaps now is not the time to begin training? Aside from simply changing locations, you really wouldn’t want to be in the middle of a move during. That said if you must, as Yarden said it can be done, just plan accordingly.

Adam

Kris,

I would strongly recommend staying in one place for the duration of your training. The program is simply too fast paced to be moving between training centers unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.

Chris

Thanks everyone,

I appreciate the quick responses, I fully plan to stay at the same location, (Ideally Long Island) I was just curious if this was an option, if something unforeseen were to happen in life. Also, just quickly, are you able to switch instructors if you find a better fit, is there any flexibility there? thanks again guys, much appreciated.
Kris

Kris,

You will work with various instructors during your time as a student. Students and instructors are matched by the company and all instructors are held to the same standards, so there shouldn’t be much need to switch around. That being said, if there is an issue with an instructor be sure to bring it to the company’s attention and they will work to resolve it.

Chris

Thank you Chris, Good to know.
Kris

Changes aren’t usually approved unless after a checkride. It would be difficult for an instructor to take a transfer student and comfortably endorse that student for a solo or checkride without the benefit of training them thoroughly. It could add hours and cost to get the new instructor comfortable to sign a student off if not right after a checkride’s completion.