Training aircraft for CPL

Hey folks,

I am currently doing my ppl, just thinking about doing my CPL with DA40. Or would it be better off for me to stick with Cessna during CPL? I really want to go to the northern part of Canada doing bush pilot stuff after I finish all my training. What are the disadvantages of going with this? Does anybody have any ideas? Fly safe!

Thanks,

Ty,

I think an airplane is an airplane and you should fly and train in what you like. That said if you want to be a “bush pilot” you might want to start getting some tailwheel time and training in that.

Adam

Thanks a lot Adam! l really appreciate your opinion on “bush pilot”! Another question, how many hours do l need so that will put me in a solid position for the bush flying, just interms of job hiring.

Ty,

Honestly I have no clue but I’m sure if you do some Googling of the kind of jobs you’d like you can see the qualifications they look for. Further even if they don’t require a tailwheel endorsement having one and more important being proficient will not only make you more competitive, it’ll keep you safe.

Adam

Adam,

I agree with you totally, 100%. I will definitely go google it. I really appreciate your response. And l will keep it in my mind as always. Thank you very! Fly safe, sir!

Ty,

Hey Adam,
I think I remember reading somewhere else that you did banner towing? Obviously, different companies will have different minimums, but I was just wondering how many hours of tailwheel you were hired with, and at what point in your training did you add the tailwheel, or did you do it after completing ATP?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

I actually did it briefly after ATP training and before instructing. I had sold my business and planned on training with ATP then instructing as is normal, but the deal fell through and I had to go back to my business for about 6mos. During that time I didn’t want to get rusty and obviously wanted to build some time so I went and spoke to the local banner tow guy. I told him I was 5min away and if he needed a “backup pilot” or could even work me in a few days here and there I’d do it for free. He said cool, just get your endorsement which I did. In truth I only did I think about 20hrs total but it was a cool albeit kinda hairy experience.

After that I was fortunate ATP needed instructors (particularly in NJ) and they allowed me to return, instruct and build the rest of my time.

Adam

That sounds cool. Even though you only did 20 hrs, did you find it to be helpful in terms of improving your skills at all?
I was thinking I might want to do that while teaching, kind of how you did, just volunteering when possible, seems like a good way to add some hours/get tailwheel experience/have other options.

Tim,

Definitely a good experience and made me very aware of ground handling and power/energy management. I believe if you’re not just showing up and checking the box there are always lessons to be learned.

Adam