Training Advice

Hey guys! So, I know that an A.S. Degree in aviation is pretty useless, but it’s going to allow me to gain easier access to financing. I tried going to ATP and getting a loan, but with no success. After a frustrating internet search on flight schools, I found a program at the local community college. It’ll cost about 45k - 54k for the program (I’m able to get student loans from the government), get me my PPL - CFI (multi eng. comm.), and a R-ATP at 1,250 TT (so not completely useless?) Anyways, I was wondering what you guys recommend I start studying? I’m all signed up for my PPL Theory, PPL Application, and Aviation Meteorology for the summer term coming up. I downloaded some apps to help me study and jot down some notes to better prepare me for the class (want to stay ahead of the game, you know?). Sorry for the long post haha any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Yuran,

I recommend you contact the school you plan on attending and ask them what they recommend. Not trying to be vague but I don’t want to recommend a particular book or course if they work off a different one. In truth aviation is a science so it shouldn’t matter but again they may have a particular method, system or order they prefer. If you really want to get an overall the FAA offers some great publications free online and since it’s the FAA it’s the basis for many courses.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

Happy reading!

Adam

1 Like

Yuran,

I would start out with the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK). It is the foundation of what you will need to know and, like Adam said, is an FAA publication so it (should be…) the standard at every school.

Yarden

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the advice!! I’ll definitely check it out! I’ll keep you guys posted on how things go.

Yuran