Tory - Biography

Hello everyone!

My aviation career began in 2013 in Sacramento, CA, shortly after graduating college. Let me start off by saying that flying was not something that I had always dreamt about. Before I talk about my path to the airlines here is a little background about where I started.

My entire young adult life revolved around soccer until a blood clot in my shoulder removed me from my starting position during my freshman year of college. I was in the ER when I decided that maybe this was a sign that it was time to shift my focus on academics. As much as I loved soccer and as much as I would have loved to have seen how much further it would have taken me, another side of me was telling me that it was time to set it aside.

Long story short, I completed Aerospace Engineering undergrad, but ultimately changed my major from AE to Communication Studies. I graduated in 2012 from Cal State Long Beach.

While earning my degree, I also joined the American Marketing Association because I felt that I could use the professional development to help me in my search for my future career, whatever that was going to be. As you can tell, I struggled to find something that I was passionate about for a long time. That said, I was at least willing to try different things and I was also enjoying the experience.

After college, I still wasn’t sure what my passion was, but I found a job working for a transportation logistics company. I lasted 10 months! I was back to the drawing board!

During college I had fantasized about becoming a pilot, but I didn’t like my options. There was really only one option really and that was to take out a loan with no guarantee that I would be able to get a flying job afterwards. The process seemed too risky at the time, but here I was, 3 years later, contemplating the possibility yet again.

This time, I explored my curiosity further by taking an intro flight to see if my fascination of becoming a pilot could potentially become more than that.

It was a brief 0.7 hour flight on a smoggy, hazy afternoon in Fullerton, CA, but that was all the inspiration that I needed to pursue a career in aviation.

When researching schools ATP seemed to have it all, wrapped up in a nice complete package. It seemed too good to be true, but they were/are the real deal.

In order to afford not working while in the program I moved back home to Sacramento. You are probably thinking that you know how this story ends already. I thought so too. I was wrong.

A few months into the program I faced one of the hardest challenges of my career. I hadn’t dealt with the loss of my father. He suddenly passed away three months before I graduated college. Because of the medication that I was prescribed, I voluntarily surrendered my medical. It was a tough decision, but it was the responsible thing to do.

Nine months later, after reaching stability and following all of the FAA’s instructions, I was reissued another 1st Class Medical. Words can barely describe how good it felt to get my medical back.

This time I decided to earn my PPL at a school next door to ATP so I could work part-time. This decision served me well. I was able to assimilate the information at my own pace while making some money on the side.

Six months later I graduated from ATP’s 100 Hour Multi-engine Program and was fortunate to be assigned to my preferred training center as a CFI. I spent the next two years teaching mainly between Sacramento and Oakland.

Teaching for ATP enhanced my skills and knowledge as a pilot, without question. I really cared about my own and my students’ performance. I tried to be the best CFI that I could be so that my students were always over-prepared.

At 900 hours total time I began receiving tuition reimbursement from Horizon Air. Reaching 1500 hours I was assigned a class date for the E175. I was in the second group of pilots at Horizon to be typed in the aircraft. The learning curve was steep, but I had a strong foundation and work ethic from ATP.

Completing new hire regional training was a HUGE milestone in my life! I reminisce about the moment that I decided to become a pilot and it still amazes me that I have come this far in such a short amount of time.

I quickly became a Captain on the E175 in about 2 years. I spent about 3 years in the left seat. I also volunteered on safety forums, LOSA and the Union’s Hotel Committee.

As of January 2022, I am thrilled to announce that I am now a Seattle-based First Officer for Alaska Airlines on the 737! I was hired by Alaska through the Pathways program that Alaska/Horizon created specifically for Horizon pilots. I am loving my new job and the life that it is providing me and my family.

Now, it is your turn. I love this forum. I am happy to be here. I enjoy answering all of your questions to help you find your path to your dream job. If you are not sure where to start, we created over a dozen articles in our FAQ. If your questions are not answered there, try the search function at the top.

Otherwise, reply to an existing post or start a new thread.

Welcome to the forum!

Tory

53 Likes