Too many pilots?

Hey guys, I have another question. Some people are worried that when/if I fly, one day (since there is a shortage right now) that there will be too many pilots and I would eventually lose my job because I will be at lowest seniority… You guys are currently in the industry so you would know best. Should I be worried?

Hanna,

You can play the “What if?” game all day long and it won’t get you anywhere. If I remember correctly, you’re a high school senior. So, you have at least 4-6 years until you’ll be eligible to fly for a regional. I get your concern, but research studies have shown that the shortage is expected to continue for at least another 2 decades. Now, could that change tomorrow? Absolutely. No one can predict the future. I would take what you hear with a grain of salt. Focus on what you need to do right now (school/college) and come back to this question when it’s time to cross that bridge.

Tory

2 Likes

Hanna,

As Tory said there are no guarantees but all indications are that the airlines will be playing catch up for a while. That said things can and do change which is why it’s always good to have a backup plan. 17yrs ago on Sept 10th things were great and hiring was booming, and then 9/11 happened. Obviously the greatest tragedy was the loss of life and destruction but it also resulted in thousands of pilots losing their jobs many of whom never made it back. You never know.

Adam

Hanna,

In the past, there have occasionally been surpluses of pilots, but everything right now is pointing to a continued trend of needing pilots. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, air travel is growing by leaps and bounds both in this country and around the world.

Chris