Timeline

Hi everyone, i would like to have a realistic timeline in a aviation career. Right now i am 17 years old. 1 more year to finish school. When i’m 18, i’ll enter an aviation college, such as Embry-Riddle or UND. I spend 4 years in college to obtain my bachelor’s degree, while obtaining my PPL, CPL, CFI and CFII. I’m 22 years old. i have around 500 hrs. 2 years of flight instructor and i apply to a regional airline. In the regional airline i spend around 3-4 years to become a captain of the aircraft. Then 1 or 2 years later i apply to a mayor airline, such as american o united. How much time would i have to “spend” in order to become a captain on a aircraft such as a B777 or B787?

Thanks, Juan

Juan,

Your timeline sounds reasonable overall. Time to widebody Capt however is somewhat more nebulas. Flying for a Major is the pinnacle of our profession and widebody Capt is the goal for many. Obviously it’s all based on seniority as well as growth within the airline and the industry. Short answer is a long time. Chris has been at United (I believe) for 15yrs, just recently became an A320 Capt and is fairly junior on that airplane. He could probably give you a more accurate time projection based on today’s environment but it’s easily over 20yrs.

Adam

Juan,

Your timeline sounds reasonable, assuming of course that there are no large shakeups in the industry, recessions, wars, etc. Currently to be a captain on a wide body airplane such as the 777 takes about 25 years of seniority, but your mileage may vary.

I would encourage you to work on your spelling, punctuation and capitalization. These things matter when applying for the airlines, so you might as well start now.

Chris