Test prep

First of all… The guys writing these tests are heartless, soulless people whose main goal is to make people fail (examiners too…), I get the purpose of it, but got dang they don’t mess around… Got it, I’ll try not to let them confuse me too bad…

So this is the first question I’ve run into in the king course, going through the answer question section, where I swear all the information isn’t displayed. Question number 4021, which is a "figure out the ground speed needed to get to point x on time. I couldn’t for the life of me figure it out. They give no actual locations, no map, just a, you cross point x on your way to point y in x amount of time. Anyway, I couldn’t figure it out, so I clocked on the help button and right away they start using a true course, like it was given to you, and from what I see, there was no way to figure it. They tell you the forecasted wind, and a you cross point x at a given time, but no second point, nothing. What am I missing?

I think I found out my folly. Under the given info it says to use the scroll bar to the side. The scroll bar does not show up on my iPad. Until this point, it’s never been a factor. I figured it was an operator error, just wasn’t sure.

Thank goodness for Sheppard Air. Memorize the questions and answers, schedule the test, show up to the test, recognize the answers without even finishing the question, score above a 90, and then learn the stuff during flight training :grin:.

2 Likes

Really, the only thing I needed to be “taught” was navigation, and a little weather(and regs). I’ve got a rather comprehensive hold of math,physics, science, aerodynamics, and mechanics. After breezing through the king class, paying a decent amount of attention, and working through the 800 some odd question bank, I’m 30 questions short at the moment with an 85 ish percent.

Anyway, I’d much rather understand the material anyway vs memorizing a test. This method is working for me, at least for the private.

I do find it interesting how much they round their numbers before doing calculations on the test, so using the true numbers I’m off from the answer just by a little bit. I can see them rounding the numbers when I click on the help icon. My calculus professor would be sorely disappointed.

Anyway, I can confirm the faa’s observation that most issues are operator error. IT people will tell you the same thing too.

1 Like

Great that you know your preferences, do what works for you man!

Make sure you aim for that 100 because the dpe will probe into the questions you missed on the written, like mine did

That’s what I hear. I was only able to get my private knocked out before I started, but got a 98. Just finished the king instrument course, and I’m still in the tol phase. Some of the other students look at me funny for crunching through instrument stuff when I can’t even get in the plane by myself yet.

I have heard that dpe’s have been told to yell at students.

1 Like

Neal,

Seriously? I know some have a reputation to, but they shouldn’t be an no one is telling them to explicitly. If a DPE was yelling at me I’d address it. I would not tolerate it. It is completely unnecessary and absolutely a distraction.

Tory

1 Like

They will be looking at you funny again when you are climbing into the cockpit of a jet and they are still flight instructing.

2 Likes

If they are they should be reported to the FSDO.

Adam

1 Like

It’s a distraction/stress technique. Ask anyone who’s done a check ride with Mr. Strange. I did half of mine with him and the better you were doing, the more he yelled. Definitely not uncommon.

1 Like

From FAA 8900.1:
ProfessionalConduct: Each designated examiner must represent the Administrator in a manner which credits the FAA. Qualities such as promptness, courtesy and professionalism are essential. Each designated examiner must continuously exhibit a positive personal attitude toward safety and present a positive image of the FAA in respect to aviation safety.

Adam

3 Likes

Thank God for this post! I was having the same problem with the True Corse not showing in my iPad.