Survey: If you could fly one airplane

This is a fun thread! I’d say the F-22 Raptor. Its dope as heck.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg/1200px-Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg

The MD-11, it was the first airplane I ever flew on and it sparked my fascination in aviation. Too bad they don’t fly passengers anymore, but hopefully I get a chance to actually fly it with a cargo carrier. The list of airplanes I wish I could fly is endless, but any of the Russian machines would be cool to fly as well. They all have a certain attitude and a unique engine sound

Definitely a 777-300. Look at the bypass ratio on those engines!

I have been told that the fuselage of a 737 would fit inside a 777 engine. I have not measured it myself, but I could see it being true.

1 Like

That is true! Look at the size of this… I just checked and it says that each GE90 engine has twice the power of the entire Titanic. This thing climbs like a beast from what I’ve seen.

It’s funny because the 777 doesn’t look like a huge plane at the gate, because every part is proportionate with other parts (keep in mind this is just a 200), but when you compare it with the 737, it’s a completely different story…

1 Like

Its always amazing to be to look out the gate to see how big the airplanes and engines really are in person, compared to pictures and videos

1 Like

Dream job — Left Seat — A340-600 or 747-8 Freighter
Dream plane to own if I win Powerball — F4 Corsair
Dream realistic plane to own — Yak-52

Definitely a challenger 300, Have always like them.

Thomas,

I have no idea what Delta’s future fleet plans are, but I would imagine that the MD 80s would be retired soon. They are very antiquated and incredibly inefficient. Frankly, I am surprised that they are still being flown around at all.

Chris

The md80s are going to be replaced very soon although for american it will be sooner then delta.

They may be old but they’re tanks and will be missed.

Adam

1 Like

The MD80 definitely has character though.

Hi Thomas,

American has around 40 MD80’s left, and the plan is to retire them by the Fall of 2018. Very sad to see this plane go, as AA once had 350 of them.

Last I heard, Delta’s retirement plan for the MD reached out into 2019.

Jess

1 Like

Is the MD80 the one that is the same or similar to the 717?

Jeremy,

The DC-9, MD-80, MD-90 and 717 are essentially the same airframe and all share a common “Type” rating. I fly the 717 but actually have a DC-9 Type Rating since that’s the only one they issue for the series.

Adam

My pilot mentor used to fly them at Airtran. He called them the TV-9

2 Likes

What’s crazy is look at that cockpit vs mine on the 717! Same Type?!? I mean I guess if the whole crew ate the fish I could figure it out but definitely wouldn’t be pretty! Glass is good :slight_smile:

Adam
b717ckpt

I always wanted to fly the 744 and do the leg from KORD to LLBG. Might happen who knows.