Suggestions on the BEST online ground school

Hello everyone,

I would like to know from current or past students who’s doing or already did online ground school. What schools/ apps/ sites would you suggest and which ones you believe are the best and why?

Thank you in advance.

Bishoy,

I am and will always be a fan of the Kings. They’ve been doing what they do forever and do it very well. Their materials are constantly updated and always current and relevant. That and they have a great sense of humor and delivery.

Adam

1 Like

Sheppard Air is what I use, and pretty much everyone at my school does as well. Haven’t failed a written since I started with it.

1 Like

Derek,

I recommend King Schools. I find their programs to be entertaining, yet also informative. I used them for all of my written exams.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you Adam, Derek, and Chris. I appreciate all your responses. The reason for my question is because I am planning on getting all my written tests out the way in order to put me ahead when I start ATP. Any suggestions on the order of the writtens to take them after the PPL?

Bishoy,

You can take the written tests in any order, but most pilots take the IRA after the PAR. It’s also very common to take the FII the same day or day after taking the IRA, assuming you received a good score on the IRA (90 or above). This is because the question bank for the FII is very similar to the IRA. Then, most pilots take the CAX. The FIA and FOI are usually the last two to be taken.

Tory

1 Like

Thank you Tory for the tip, I appreciate it.

1 Like

I’m curious why some students chose to purchase training products from an online-only school such as King.

In order to get a pilot certificate or a rating (PPL, IR, CPL), FAR 61 always requires the student takes dual instruction with a CFI in an airplane and/or simulator. The number of hours and type of instruction vary on the certificate or rating, but all of them require significant dual time in a plane/simulator. And when you go purchase that training from a flight school, don’t they typically include the ground training materials, probably straight from King or equivalent. It does not seem to save you any money to pre-purchase King and then go to flight school.

What am I missing?

Miles,

What you’re missing is that most flight schools do not in fact provide ground school or offer it separately at an additional cost. It’s actually quite common for people to do their ground training online or on their own. Even if the school does offer ground instruction most do not cover training for the FAA Writtens as that’s basically rote knowledge and best accomplished with self study.

Adam